130W ATX power supply + 120W AC adapter 54$

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Re: 130W ATX power supply + 120W AC adapter 54$

Post by electrodacus » Tue May 15, 2012 2:33 pm

cman00 wrote:So I'm finally going to use my Winmate to build out my new HTPC/file server and I believe I'll need a custom solution for mounting the power supply.

Here are my questions:

1. I think the easiest way to mount my PS would be to do so internally, away from the back edge of the case (Silverstone ML03B). To do this, I assume I will need to buy/make an adapter from the 4-pin power connector and likely run the extension to the 4 pin atx on the PS. Would this item from ebay work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-Power-DIN-4- ... 460289d35a

Would it be a simple process to solder some wires from the connectors on that unit to a 4 pin molex-like head? The main reason I"m asking is that I need to know if this is the correct adapter AND whether it'll be simple to solder to those featureless pins.

2. I saw that you had some fancy mounting pins in another thread. What hardware are folks using to mount this unit to their cases?

Thanks in advance for your help on this slowly decaying thread. :(

Sorry I'm not that active on this forum. I'm quite busy at the moment and do not have much time for this power supplies.
Also I do not have that many left.

1) Your case Silverstone ML03B is not that different from the one I have. Did you seen the way I mounted my PSU's on the case. I use a dual PSU even if I do not actually needed.
The 4 pin mini din in the link is the same type as the one on the ATX board
There are two way to connect power to the PSU see
I will also include for you two 4pin mini-DIN extension cables you can cut them or use them as you like.
I guess you already seen this
and this
In your case the PSU's will probably need to be horizontal and not vertical.

2) ? "Fancy mounting pins" not sure what are you referring to I used #4 bolts and nuts as you see in the photo above it works quite good.

PS: sorry for the two power supply setup I was thinking I'm talking with another person.
Last edited by electrodacus on Wed May 16, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Wed May 16, 2012 12:08 pm

goinbroke wrote:Hi. I've ordered two PSUs and M7700 adapter to outfit a music server. Generous sharing by others informs me of the usefulness of seperating 'clean/jitter-sensitive' devices from 'dirty/mechanical' devices and their power demands. While I might not NEED 2 PSUs (wattage wise), I am trying to incorporate this theory of segregation, and I would love some advice on the implimentation. Would this be workable or misguided:

PSU 1 (dirty):
2- 90mm fans
1- 120mm fan (will kick on only if needed)
3- 3T WD green AV hard drives

PSU 2 (clean):
CPU i5-2500T
MOBO Asus P8Z77-M pro
1- Crucial 128G M4 SSD
possible power splice into USB hub delivering audio out to DAC (?)

In the parrallel useage laid out previously, the CPU and MOBO power are delivered from different units; is that necessary?
Should the MOBO connection 'cross-integration' previously described be handled the same way?
Any suggestions?

- THANKS

Sorry I did not see your post last time I logged in.
I will send you the PSU's today.
PSU delivers quite clean power since it has a lot of filtering and was specialty design to have as little interferences as possible.
But the rest of your components are consumer components and a Fan and even the HDD can be actually more cleaner than the motherboard.
The main reason for that is that you have high power DC-DC converter on the main board one is for CPU 12V down to 1.xx Volt then there is the one for RAM also under 2V and probably from 12V line.

Is not necessary to power motherboard and CPU from separate power supply unless you want to use a dedicated video card.
But with your setup a single power supply can deliver easily power to the entire PC.
Not sure what you can power with a separate power supply in order to get a "cleaner" power.
The most important is that the sound card is shilled and has his own filter and some quality sound card have that.
Also not sure if your "music server" is just a server so your music is transmitted by LAN or WLAN to other devices or computer or is more of a media center that will play the music directly whit his own sound card. In first case the "dirty" power supply will have zero influence.

goinbroke

Post by goinbroke » Wed May 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks for answering so quickly.

You are right, "music server" is not an adequate description; I will be playing music directly (digitally) from the PC to an external DAC. Probably via USB or AES/EBU outputs.

I will have to do my experimenting, but the argument I've seen (and I might as well try to benefit from others efforts and legwork), is that there are elements such as the mechanical motors of fans and hard drives that pollute the power and thus contribute to jitter in the digital audio signal , which then must be dealt with with superior products downstream. If I'm able to avert such issues within the PC case, I don't see how it can hurt.

At the least, I have addressed the power quality and silence issues! My fans are there only as protection, and will only kick on at prescribed heat thresholds.

cman00

Post by cman00 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:04 am

Hey. You actually already answered my questions through my direct emails to you, but thanks for taking the time that you don't have to respond over here too!

Everything's mounted, connected, and running perfectly at the moment.

FYI, these were the fancy mounting pins I was talking about:

electrodacus wrote:

Sorry I'm not that active on this forum. I'm quite busy at the moment and do not have much time for this power supplies.
Also I do not have that many left.

1) Your case Silverstone ML03B is not that different from the one I have. Did you seen the way I mounted my PSU's on the case. I use a dual PSU even if I do not actually needed.
The 4 pin mini din in the link is the same type as the one on the ATX board
There are two way to connect power to the PSU see

I will also include for you two 4pin mini-DIN extension cables you can cut them or use them as you like.
I guess you already seen this

and this

In your case the PSU's will probably need to be horizontal and not vertical.

2) ? "Fancy mounting pins" not sure what are you referring to I used #4 bolts and nuts as you see in the photo above it works quite good.

PS: sorry for the two power supply setup I was thinking I'm talking with another person.