done

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

done

Post by shleepy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:07 pm

NO LONGER AVAILABLE

This is a similar deal to what I had before with a couple Xeons. Those didn't seem to work out (or at least, one person didn't get around to replying to me), but this CPU would hopefully have better luck.

I have an ES version of an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 CPU (at 3.33GHz, the fastest Core 2 ever released, AFAIK). I bought it a long time ago on eBay. The previous owner (who lapped the CPU to supposedly increase cooling performance, by the way) claims it worked and overclocked very well. It didn't work on my board... I wasn't sure at the time if it was the mobo's fault or the CPU's. A recent test revealed that it seems to be the CPU that's not working. Two known-working motherboards (MSI IM-Q35 and DFI LanParty DK X48-T2RS) that should support the CPU can't boot to POST and continuously restart with the CPU inserted. It's far too late to complain to the eBay seller at this point... but MAYBE someone will have better luck than me getting it to work. After all, since it's an ES processor, many boards might just not like it. Unlikely, but who knows...

The deal:
  • I ship the processor to you, for free. No payment from you is required at all (shipping will only cost me a couple dollars, so no big deal).
  • If it doesn't work, you can do what you want with the CPU - try giving it to someone else with a different board, throw it away, etc.
  • If it does work for you, I would kindly ask you to send me a payment of $100, which should be significantly less than its potential street value.
  • Requirements: You MUST have an enthusiast-class LGA 775 board that supports E8600's. Big plus if you've used it successfully with other ES processors. Ideally, this would be something like a high-end Asus board, possibly with a different chipset than Q35 or X48 (which is what my boards have - though I guess the BIOS might be the most important thing). I would also strongly prefer dealing with US residents, so as to save a trip to the post office.
  • Fine print: This CPU did not damage my boards, and I don't think it would damage others, but I make no guarantees about that. Try out this processor at your own risk. This deal only applies to people with at least a few posts on SPCR forums. If multiple people are interested, I will choose the person who is (1) a more active SPCR member, and (2) has a setup that might have a higher chance of working.
Please send me a PM if interested, rather than (only) making a reply post.
And to the rest of you, let this be a lesson about not buying ES processors. :)
Last edited by shleepy on Mon May 02, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CA_Steve

Re: Intel C2D E8600 - potentially not working (if so, free)

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:09 am

shleepy wrote: And to the rest of you, let this be a lesson about not buying ES processors. :)
But, if you haven't learned the lesson - be sure to contact shleepy for this great deal. Then, see me about a low mileage bridge I have for sale. :D
You bought an ES CPU?

As in, engineering sample?
As in, it's inked/laser marked or sharpied with ES or Engineering Sample? Oh wait, it was lapped...so, all of the marking is gone?
As in, not for sale/resale, not tested to final specifications, not qual tested, etc?

lol.

You might weigh it and compare to another C2D to see if it's just an empty package. Then, toss it in the bay area approved e-waste recycling bin. If it didn't post for 2 working mobos, it ain't gonna post.