Looking for a completely silent laptop ...

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

evalon

Re: Looking for a completely silent laptop ...

Post by evalon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Hi both,

Thanks for your comments ... And @mike: I guess there's probably some/more ways to get to a silent PC or laptop - yet what pleases me with the solution that "fell into my lap" (courtesy help from people here) is that besides being completely silent in all the uses I've put it through (except for when placed on the carpet) it's also a 64 bit machine which means that it actually uses the 8 GB RAM that is inside it. And it works silently just by using it as is ... 8) I've actually now set the Thermal settings to normal (and it's silent) and it also has a "quiet" setting so should it some day be less than fully quiet I can take it a step further ... And does that then prove to not make it silent there's the TPFC software you mention, so ...

Pleased I am :wink:

Cheers ... Jesper

bastiaan

Post by bastiaan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:03 pm

I have used a Dell Latitude with a similar chassis and an Intel Core i7 (the E6530). It is silent except when stressed, and even then, the noise it produces is much more pleasant than what eminates from your average laptop. Of course a tradeoff had to be made somewhere, and the E6530 is bulkier than is fashionable today.

I think Dell have done a great job with the cooling design for these laptops.

evalon

Post by evalon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi bastiaan ... pleased to read your input ... should I some day need a faster computer with a USB 3.0 I now know that this could be an option ;-)

Jesper