FS: Great custom built HTPC - mount on your monitor or TV!

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jdd561

FS: Great custom built HTPC - mount on your monitor or TV!

Post by jdd561 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:13 am

I've finally decided to part ways with the HTPC I have evolved over the past few months. I've taken great care to develop a fairly low power, QUIET system that meets all the needs of any HTPC user, and very likely meets most all day to day needs for typical home users - save maybe some heavy gamers. I'd rather not part this out - as all components have been chosen specifically to fit in this small case, and will ship completely installed.

ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 motherboard. uATX, 4 DDR2 memory slots, 2 of them currently occupied by DDR2 800 2GB chips. Motherboard maxes out at 16 GB RAM. 6 SATA2 ports built in, gigabit ethernet, optical TOSLINK port, HDMI/DVI/VGA output, USB 2.0 ports. In the Coolermaster case, this uATX motherboard loses access to it's PCI/PCIe expansion slots.

AMD Propus 605e 45w Athlon II x4 processor. 45w quad core - need I say more?!? I've used this for converting recorded HDTV to x264 for about a year now, and it compresses DVD video like nobody's business. Its a rare combination of HTPC friendly 45w power with video encoder friendly quad core power. Paired with the built in 785G chipset video, it makes for a low powered media producing/viewing beast. I've replaced the stock AMD cooler with a low profile Scythe cooler - the biggest and best I could fit into the Coolermaster case. It makes for a very quiet, cool running machine. The Scythe is the only fan on the entire system.

Cooler Master Elite 100 case. This is really designed for mini-ITX motherboards, but it runs uATX just fine with the caveat that you lose access to PCI expansion ports. Not a problem for my use. I replaced the NOISY power supply with a custom made 150 watt solid state power supply I purchased from a fellow on Silent PC Review. It will support modern motherboards/CPUs and a couple SATA drives just fine. This system never stressed it! The case is designed to accept a slot-loading CD/DVD drive, but I never installed one.

The system will come with a 200GB 2.5" 5400 RPM laptop hard drive with Windows XP Media Center (completely updated) installed. It has the licensing certificate sticker on the outside of the case.

So quick and dirty, it is an AMD Athlon 2 605e CPU with 4 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM paired with a 785G motherboard (SATA2, USB 2.0, HDMI/DVI/VGA, TOSLINK Optical out). 200GB laptop HDD with Windows XP Media Center installed.

I'd like to get $150 + shipping. Payment would be via PayPal. Price is negotiable; I would not like to break this up at this point.

I've uploaded some pics of the system in Picasa, the link is included below. I apologize for the flash - without it the pictures were even worse!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1142612647 ... directlink

The USB and audio jacks on the front of the case are fully functional. I did NOT plug in the HD/Power LED leads on the motherboard, as I didn't care for the constant blue/flashing blue lights distracting me when I had this mounted behind my television. There are headers on the motherboard to make the lights work, if needed. Also, I've decided to leave the 200GB drive currently installed with the system, so if you were viewing before it now will include the larger drive instead of the original 100GB drive I had originally included. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but the case itself (not including the VESA mounting bracket shown) is 2.5 inches tall. A great feature for the case, keeps it rediculously small, but it did make finding the right heatsink a challenge!

I do have a small amount of Beer under jdd561, and I've been on ebay and Audiogon for years as jdd561 as well.