PSU fanswap... suggestions *pics*

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

cloneman

PSU fanswap... suggestions *pics*

Post by cloneman » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:40 pm

I'm swapping my PSU fan for use with a via c3 733Mhz system. The psu is rate at 450W (yeah right), I paid it 16.99$ Canadian. It's internal fan is a Yate Loon 8025M12 (12V 0.14a).

I've decided to fanswap it with a Nexus 80mm real silent at 7 Volts. I'm wondering if firstly, this is enough cooling (considering the system's total power draw will be less than 50 Watts).

Secondly, its _still_ not as quiet as I'd like. I this because of the grating? Should I clip off that metal to reduce noise levels?
This seems to be the logical solution, since outside the PSU the 7v nexus is fine.
Pic:

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:09 pm

I removed the grating (same as on your PSU) from my PSU that has a 7-volted fan and I didn't notice any apparent change in noise level, however, the character of the noise changed to a more non-whooshing noise and there was a significant airflow improvement.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:23 pm

First: Cut off the grate. It's causing a lot of noise and reduced airflow. on the other side of the psu too.

Second: The Yate Loon d80sm12 is exactly what i have running in an FSP 300w. It's dead silent.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:52 pm

That grille is quite restrictive. As Tephras pointed out, removing it will increase the airflow. But he forgot the last step. This increased airflow will allow you to run the fan even slower. With such a low power system, running the fan at 5V will most probably be OK, when that grille is removed.

If you are not afraid of just cutting the grille from the PSU, but removing some small pieces of your case too, then you can mount your PSU fan something like this:
You don't need to do it as drastic as I did.
Just cut some small pieces from the case
so the fan will fit and you can still use the
screws to attach the PSU to the case.

In most PSU's the fan and the internal components are quite close to each other. As impedance on the intake side of a fan generates more noise than impedance at the exhaust side, the effect of it should be greater than just grille removal.

One warning though. Use a sturdy way to attach a fan when you put it on the outside of the case. Screws or rubber/silicone fan vibration isolators are OK. But somebody once reported using double sided tape. When the tape dried out, the fan fell off and the PSU fried.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:04 am

thanks. all. Yeah the yate loon is nice... but either way I have to connect the fan directly to the motherboard, this 17$ Power supply ramps up the voltage as it pleases.

I'm going to cut off the grate. But, on the other side of the psu as well? That seems a little drastic.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:19 am

cloneman wrote:I'm going to cut off the grate. But, on the other side of the psu as well? That seems a little drastic.
You can also twist the metal slats of the intake side 90 degrees -- like this:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article66-page2.html

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:53 pm

cloneman wrote:..But, on the other side of the psu as well? That seems a little drastic.
If your PSU has many opening on the other side, you can do the twisting as Mike suggested and it would give plenty of airflow. If there're not many slot on the other side of your psu, then cut it open gives better result. I've done both. :)