[CeBIT 06] Seasonic M12: Modular PSU (rejoice)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

[CeBIT 06] Seasonic M12: Modular PSU (rejoice)

Post by rpsgc » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:40 am

Since a lot of people asked for it, Seasonic has heard them and is going to release a new model, the M12 modular PSU.

It'll have 500, 600 and a new 700W model. The chassis is a bit different though. Besides the 120mm fan (which I presume is the same) there's also a small 60mm fan at the back.

If I understood it correctly the efficiency will be a little lower because of the modular cables.

Will it be as good (overall) as the S12? Let's see...

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:18 am

That looks like a nice supply. I'm kind of surprised to see the additional fan, though.
If I understood it correctly the efficiency will be a little lower because of the modular cables.
I'm also surprised they would attribute lower efficiency due to the modular cables. That would imply a significant resistance & voltage drop across the additional connectors.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:37 am

Yes, each connector introduces a bit more resistance. But why the secondary fan? Let's hope that isn't always on.

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:40 am

Is the fan an intake or an exhaust?

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:41 am

From what it looks, both fans are intakes into teh PSU.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:46 am

I have a bad feeling about this PSU. I like sleeved cables, modularity has it's pros and cons, however why did they put the second fan in there, a 60mm one at that? If you don't want a hot air from 120mm fan blowing into the case, the second 60mm fan must always be on. However even if it is on the air will still try to exit so we'll have two conflicting airpaths which means a lot of additional turbulence noise. Plus 60mm fan will probably have to rotate at relatively high speed to prevent air from escapting into the case, so even more noise. *sigh* I better go and buy another S12 while they are still available...

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:06 am

Selon Seasonic, ce ventilateur permet d'obtenir un meilleur flux d'air interne, refroidissant mieux les composants situés à l'arrière du PCB. Selon la marque, le niveau sonore ne devrait pas s'en ressentir.
"According to Seasonic, this ventilator makes it possible to obtain a better internal airflow, better cooling the components located at the back of the PCB. According to the manufacturer [Seasonic], the noise level should not be much louder."

Not error-free. French speakers, correct it ;)

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:41 pm

The future of single fan psu design is here - two fans. Maybe there is a split level pcb or other ducting that allows the smaller fan to operate without interference from the main fan. Otherwise, as output increases, both fans will ramp and the smaller one will become less effective. Two dissimilar noise sources will always be more disturbing than two similar noise sources. Even worse if they both change speeds, but it's probably better than it looks.
Last edited by frankgehry on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricTerminator

Post by EricTerminator » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:59 pm

rpsgc wrote:
Selon Seasonic, ce ventilateur permet d'obtenir un meilleur flux d'air interne, refroidissant mieux les composants situés à l'arrière du PCB. Selon la marque, le niveau sonore ne devrait pas s'en ressentir.
"According to Seasonic, this ventilator makes it possible to obtain a better internal airflow, better cooling the components located at the back of the PCB. According to the manufacturer [Seasonic], the noise level should not be much louder."

Not error-free. French speakers, correct it ;)
French speaking reader in action ! :lol:

Corrected translation :

"According to Seasonic, this fan allows to obtain a better internal airflow, better cooling the components located at the back of the PCB. According to the manufacturer (Don't know if I can use the term "brand" here...), the noise level change shouldn't be noticeable."

And if my memory is good, this quotation comes from our friends of Matbe.com, right ?

See you

aztec

Post by aztec » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:33 pm

I think I'm in.

I'm sure the engineers at Seasonic have thought the 60mm fan through. (at least I hope)

anxious for some reviews.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:02 pm

I'd rather wait for SPCR review first. In any case, I just bought S12-600 3-6 months ago and it's perfect, not worth changing to M12.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am

The future of single fan psu design is here - two fans
God I hope not.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:26 am

EricTerminator wrote:And if my memory is good, this quotation comes from our friends of Matbe.com, right ?

See you
Yes :D

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:54 am

Hello all,

Not taking into account new issues which may arise from the rear fan (noise, internal airflow), at least one problem should be solved. There have been numerous complaints in the SPCR forums about heat escaping the rear of the S12 and thereby considerably heating up the area between the PSU and the DVD/CD drives. I have noticed this effect as well, but not to the degree reported by others. The rear fan should alleviate this phenomenon. I am looking forward to a SPCR review on the M12.

-sun.moon

aztec

Post by aztec » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:13 am

just got to thinking...if the 60mm fan is there to help dissipta heat within the PSU, why not use a low-profile 80mm instead, which should do a better and quieter job.

...just wondering out loud.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:18 am

aztec wrote:just got to thinking...if the 60mm fan is there to help dissipta heat within the PSU, why not use a low-profile 80mm instead, which should do a better and quieter job.
Space constraints?