Tagan Easycon 430W - need new silent/powerful fan

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Which fan will be better?

Papst 4412/GLL
No votes
Nexus D12SL
60%
Noctua NF-P12
20%
other...
20%

Total votes: 5

Gudas

Tagan Easycon 430W - need new silent/powerful fan

Post by Gudas » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi.

I've just purchased a new PSU - Tagan Easycon TG430-U15 and the fan used in this PSU is...freaking loud.

I need advice from you guys - which fan will be the best replacement?

I've made a little selection from what is right now avaible here (Slovakia):
Papst 4412/GLL - 1200rpm
Nexus D12SL - 1000rpm
Noctua NF-P12 - 1300rpm

And here is the problem:
My friend told me, that his Tagan Easycon 480W needed a fan replacement too - but after that Scythe S-flex didn't start after connected to the PSU internal controller, he must buy a fan that starts at about 3.5V - that's the amount of V-olts that usues this PSU at start. He used Papst GLL.
My question(s) is(are):
1. Is it better to use Nexus fan and connect it outside the PSU (Nexus probably wont start at <3.5V) or use the Papst with PSU's internal regulation.
2. Or try the new Noctua 9-blade NF-P12 fan, which supposed to be ideal for use in PSU? Does anybody know, at what voltage starts this new Noctua fan (can i use it with the internal PSU controller)?
3. Can these fans push enough air to cool this PSU or should i consider of purchasing a higher rpm/CFM fan?

The original fan is Globe Fan S1202512L and the internal controller regulates it something like this:
My system:
Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP
E6300 @ 2.8GHz (1.28V)
4xDDR2
2xHDD
X1600XT

...and excuse me for my bad english...i hope it is understandable :) I've searched this forum for several days, but i've decide to ask by my self.
Thanks!

leifeinar

Post by leifeinar » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:33 pm

i allways change my psu fans, i found it best to just use the 3-pin on the motherboard, and run the fan at a constant speed. most fans would be ok at 7-800 rpm.

so if u aint got a good fan at home i would go for a noctua, using th U.L.N.A would give u 900rpm, if u still can hear, link the two low noise adaapters.

been changing fans for years, and im allways suprised of how slow u actualy can run the fan with major load. and no stability issues.

i do not have the noctua u have chosen bu i have the other ones and no other fan i have seen starts at a lower voltage, so if u insist on connecting it to the psu im sure this would be great

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:47 am

I fan swapped Scythe S-Flex 1600 rpm. It steadily starts below 5v and is generally around 500 to 700 rpm's in my use. Inaudiable over rest system. 1600 rpm starts lower and still provides nice air flow if needed.

beli ninja

Post by beli ninja » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:37 pm

Same problem here... I suspected the X1950XT which is very hot and does make a noise but I have a passive vision for it. Sadly the Tagan fan is almost on the same noise level with GPU. Thanks for suggestions. Btw. I believe this is my first post so greetings to everyone.

Gudas

Post by Gudas » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:55 am

Ok, Noctua NF-P12 installed. It is now far more quiet, i've connected it direct to the PSU and it works flawless, no owerheating, no annoying noise.
...now i can move to the other problem - how to soundproof my new Hitachi P7K500 :x