3R160 + picoPSU, make adaptor or cut wire?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

SlaveToSilence

3R160 + picoPSU, make adaptor or cut wire?

Post by SlaveToSilence » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:00 pm

I have a 3R160 to go with my 120W pico psu but the connector is a square with holes in a circle:

is there any way i could make an adaptor for this to save destroying it? or should i just cut it off? if i was to cut the wire, would there be just a positive & negative that could then be soldered to a wire with the correct plug for the pico? :oops:

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:26 pm

Do you have the other end where this would have plugged into? Trying to find or make something that would fit is generally hard to do. I'll be doing the same thing myself here soon as I just ordered a PicoPSU to use with the power brink from my broken Shuttle SD11G5. Since the motherboard was dead, I just pulled the connector off it. Although I'm not so sure this will work easily either. I might just cut the end off and wire it up that way instead.

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:38 am

would there be a way to bodge a connection without destroying the connector just to see if it works with the pico? that way if not i can resell it for someone else to use and if so can put a proper connector on it :)

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:07 am

anyone?? surely im not the only person with a picopsu :roll:

greenfrank

Post by greenfrank » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:51 pm

how much wattage do you need?
if under 50w, you can use instead a cheap 12-24v power brick for laptops with multiple tips. I use one connected to my pico120 to supply power to my nettop.
:)

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:57 pm

i was aiming for about 50 watts but it may be more as it is my first low power system, do you have a link?

system:

Mobo: [MSI IGP]
CPU: e5200 + HR01plus
GPU: 9300 IGP
RAM: 2gb Corsair 6400DHX
HDD: 32gb-64gb SLC SSD
PSU: PicoPSU 120W
FAN: Scythe Slipstream 1200rpm

what do you think? :)

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:43 pm

SlaveToSilence wrote:would there be a way to bodge a connection without destroying the connector just to see if it works with the pico? that way if not i can resell it for someone else to use and if so can put a proper connector on it :)
Oh yeah, definitely. Do most PicoPSUs come with a plug on the end or just bare wires? If a plug, you could probably find a compatible plug at a local electronic store (Radio Shack) which you could connect two wires to. Or you could just cut it off. If it's already bare and the wires aren't too thick or thin, you could just shove them in the appropriate holes in your plug.