Anyone have Antec CP-850?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Abula

Anyone have Antec CP-850?

Post by Abula » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:53 pm

I know its new, but i just checked the following review and got me intrested in it. Maybe somone here already own one.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... y&reid=142

Somebody over at Antec woke up one day and came to this realization: in looking at the backs of our cases at that power supply mount, we're dealing with a form factor over twenty years old now. While it has served us well over the years, power supplies have gotten bigger and bigger, to the point some of us are now stuffing 1600W units into that little opening. Antec figured they had a better idea: why not enlarge the PSU housing so there was not only more room for the guts, but less restrictions to hinder cooling? The result of this brainwave is the unit I'm looking at today, the CP-850. This is the very first product in Antec's new CPX form factor, and they're really hoping it catches on.

Now, before I get started on the review proper, I just want to clue you in on one important detail: there are only three Antec cases right now that will take a CPX power supply. Those cases are the Twelve Hundred, the P183, and the P193. Any other case will need modding, assuming there's enough space.
I couldn't even hear that 120mm fan, that's how dull the hot box phase was. Looks like Antec's vision of a more efficient cooling system works.
CP-850 can outperform a Signature unit for ripple and noise suppression!!!
Only downside i see is size, and that only is meant for 3 cases, but i do own a 1200, so i considering buying one. And even if the fan isnt as quiet as the review makes it to be, im guessing it could be easly changed with SFlex or even a slipstream since its mounted vertically.

Just looking for more input, before i buy it, would appricaite any comments if anyone owns or have seen one in action.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:17 am

If you really need a 850W PSU I'd say go for it. But do you really need 850W?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:00 am

There was already a topic on this...
viewtopic.php?t=52673

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:32 am

Sry, i did a search for CP-850 first but didnt appear in it as that its called CPX.