It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Using unofficial modular cables for PSU. Is it safe?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:17 am 

Say, I have Seasonic SS-400FL, but no Molex nor PCI-E cables for it, just 2 SATA cables. Is it a good idea to buy few of those SATA->Molex adapters and attach them to one of the SATA connectors,hen attach a Molex->PCIe adapter and connect GPU, fans, HDDs to these adapters?

Is anything going to burn, behave unstable etc.? I think I mostly concerned about the wire current endurance/throughput since I used SATA->Molex and Molex->PCIe adapters in the past without problems. This is a low wattage PSU, so maybe the current isn't big.

Post subject: Re: Using unofficial modular cables for PSU. Is it safe?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:58 am 

It might work, who knows the conditions of your adapters or how safe they are, there are some sata power cables that are not recommended that heat up and short inside, but its hard to say without seeing them.

Now my suggestion would be, in case you are missing some cables, why not go with custom cables? CableMod can do any cable you need for your SS-400FL, to the lenght you desire.

Btw why dont you use this PSU on your server build?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:20 am 

This may not be an issue with your specific scenario, but the serious problem with replacement modular cables is the connection at the PSU is not consistent between manufacturers. So your replacement cable may be expecting +5V and getting +12V - not good!

See this: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2702 ... dont-do-it

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:38 pm 
-- Vendor --

resistante wrote:
Say, I have Seasonic SS-400FL, but no Molex nor PCI-E cables for it, just 2 SATA cables. Is it a good idea to buy few of those SATA->Molex adapters and attach them to one of the SATA connectors,hen attach a Molex->PCIe adapter and connect GPU, fans, HDDs to these adapters?

Is anything going to burn, behave unstable etc.? I think I mostly concerned about the wire current endurance/throughput since I used SATA->Molex and Molex->PCIe adapters in the past without problems. This is a low wattage PSU, so maybe the current isn't big.

Hello,

I don't know from where you are but maybe you can contact us first to see if we can assist you on this? Like this you will avoid to use adapters or buy expensive customs cables. ;)

Best regards,