Meet my new PC, and I need help with SeaSonic PSU...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

GNNR |AVault|

Meet my new PC, and I need help with SeaSonic PSU...

Post by GNNR |AVault| » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:44 pm

I was really inspired by the work done on a system as seen in http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10084 so I set out to do a similar job with a Ahanix BlackKnight X195 case.

For five bucks I found Rust-Oleum Specialty Grip&Guard Textured Rubber Coating. I sprayed the entire inside of the case down after removing the face and taping a few things, including the inside of the side panels. I then applied AcoustiProducts acousti-padding to all flat surfaces... taped off the holes in front too, etc.

I am right now installing a new PSU (SeaSonic Super Tornado 400W AFPC) that should be silent (cross fingers) and I installed that ArticCooling CPU. Hardware is a FX-51, 2x74gb raptors, CDRW/DVD combo drive, floppy w/ 6in1 compact media reader, SB Audigy 2 Platinum with Livedrive, Abit Radeon 9800XT 256MB, 2 x 512mb Corsair PC3200 TwinX ECC. With the previous, and less efficient PSU and the stock cooler I had near complete silence at boot and the CPU never got above 57C under load. The new PSU is more efficient and the new HSF should be approximately the same for cooling only more silent (cross fingers)... all I need now is the Rev3 ArticCooling VGA silencer for 9800Xts (out this month) and I am set.

The fans and PSU are mounted on rubber gasgets. The only thing left, and I am not convinced yet I need too, is to remove the front/rear fan grills for the 120mm fans.

The case is a BlackKnight X195 from Ahanix, a relatively affordable, front and back 120mm case with a built in fan controller and temp monitoring that works. The only other mod I made so far was to enlarge the bottom vent area in the front bezel that lets the front 120mm fan breath... doing that shaved 2C off the ambient easy. Case temps have not gotten above 30C (room ambient is about 75F, so that's only a 11 degree rise under load, not bad if you ask me). Mobo is sitting at 32C idle.

Edit

Okay, it's up and running... wiring isn't perfect yet. After 30 minutes in the bios the CPU has settled on 59C idle with the artic cooling HSF... higher than I really want, but it's quiet... a good 14 buck experiment, may go back to stock or something. The stock cooler was idling at 52-53C for comparison sake, but is 'louder' (again, not a ton). Pretty limited selection out there, Zalman is the only other one that comes to mind.

The new PSU, a SuperTornado 400W with APFC, is generally quieter and providing more voltage than the SilverStone SST350W that it replaced. I am a bit shocked as this one is only producing 11.43V on the +12V rail... the silverstone SST350W that the SeaSonic replaced was hitting 11.136V or so, yet it ran an all night loop of 3DMark03 with audio at high res without a hiccup. I am wondering if the onboard V sensor for the SK8N is off a smidge as I am pretty sure that the SilverStone PSU shouldn't have been stable and this new SuperTornado PSU should be more than enough to hit 11.8V or so on the 12V rail I would think.

Going to let it sit ad idle all night for some break in on the new ArticSilver5 application to see if it improves - I suspect the temp will drop to 57 or 56C. If not, I may have to find something else... the stock cooler is not bad, but for the noise it isn't doing a good job either.

Maybe someone knows... The PSU fan, a 120 with pretty good thermal control from what I am seeing... would it perhaps be more efficient if I had it setup to draw outside air from the back and blow into the case versus using case air to cool itself? I would think it would run cooler and provide more air in the case. As it is now, the PSU has now ramped up to a quiet but distincly audible level... my goal is near silence if possible. I did buy a Thermaltake 120mm fan with 3-way control and could replace the existing fan with it, running the rheobus knob on the PCI plate in back for adjusting it. Any ideas or thoughts about either switching the fan blow direction or replacing it?

acompeau

I'm not positive, but...

Post by acompeau » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:39 pm

I think you may be starving the PSU for air with that arrangement. It shouldn't kick its fan into high speed mode with the temperatures you're describing.

You've got a single 120mm fan on intake, and 2x 120mm fans for exhaust (rear case fan + PSU fan). I suggest trying to slow down the rear case fan to 5V or shutting it off. You could also play around with the relative voltages to both case fans, or even flipping the rear case fan to blow cold air in. Depending on the arrangement behind your PC, you might get some mileage out of forcing the PSU exhaust upwards (if you turn around the rear can fan). I hope that made sense. Anyway, just some suggestions off the top of my head. :)

PCGUY

Post by PCGUY » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:43 pm

My rig that I am building is similar to yours and I was wondering to buy Super Tornado 400W - But many have complained about super tornado so I am backing off :shock:

How do you like your super tornado PSU? Is it silent? Was this a recent purchase?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:08 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: OMG 59C idle holy cow!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

GNNR |AVault|

Post by GNNR |AVault| » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:39 pm

Well, I reversed the 120 fan on the PSU... runs dead silent now and the case ambient dropped two C. I definately need to replace the stock cooler with something better, either a Thermalright or the Zalman 7000 AL. Almost there though.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:32 am

Really nice looking, but it's starving for air. The small opening at the bottom of the front cover is the culprit.

As a comparison, the Black Knight I just finished idles at about 30c (22c ambient)......this is with the stock 120mm fans running at 3.8v, and an Antec SmartBlue PSU blowing out. I'm using a Swiftech heatsink (like the SPCR review), on a P4-3.2.

The thing I did to improve airflow without increasing the noise is open a large vent hole in the bottom of the case.Really doesn't increase noise much. Try running with the left side panel open....you'll see what a bigger vent will do to temps.

Viperoni

Post by Viperoni » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:57 am

Edward Ng wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: OMG 59C idle holy cow!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
My Xp1700 @ 200x9.5 @ 1.95v idled at ~60 with an alpha pal8045 + 80mm vantec Stealth with a 39ohm resistor inline.... while gaming it peaked at 72c, averaging 70c.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:27 am

Oh :shock:

my :shock:

goodness!!! :shock:

GNNR |AVault|

Post by GNNR |AVault| » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:54 pm

Oh yea!

Zalman 7000 CU came in along with ArticSilver 5. Installed, and even before break in and the expected 2 to 5C drop I am idling at 45C with the case sealed and dead silent. Booh yah!