Tagan TG480-U01 480W PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Jordan

Tagan TG480-U01 480W PSU

Post by Jordan » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:51 pm

Does anyone own one of these?

I've read many reviews on it and everything I read about it is great. But as I'm sure you know most reviews that claim something is "silent" normally have at least 5 case fans in their test rigs.

The only things making noise in my system just now is the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu (at 1800 RPM), the PSU and the rear 120mm fan. With the case side on the PSU is the most auudable so I'm looking to replace it (ive never tried PSU modding). My friend let me try out his Zalman ZM400A-APS which was louder than the Antec to my disappointment.

So I'm looking for a quieter PSU if anyone knows of any and I'm esp interested about hearing about the Tagan. Sorry about the long post.

xarope

Post by xarope » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:37 pm

I have one, it replaced the Verudium 470W for my MSI K8T w/3200, I was experiencing some intermittent reboots, which the Tagan 480U01 resolved. Luckily I didn't have the clicking noise which some others have reported.

Subjectively, it is obviously much quieter than the Verudium which has two fans, and about the same as the silenx 400 I have in my Asus A7N8X w/2500+. Probably not a good comparison though, as the Barton 2500+ runs much hotter than the AMD64 3200, my Verudium was reasonable in the K8T, but runs like a lot louder in the A7N8X. The other difference is that the K8T is in a superflower aluminium case which might lead to greater resonance, whereas the A7N8X is in a cheap steel case, which might be "quieter" (but mitigated by the higher heat levels and hence higher fan speeds!).

Two other things to be aware of for the Tagan PSU:
1) the power leads come off the left hand side, i.e. if you install the PSU instead of the power leads coming off next to the right side of the case which is the case with the Verudium and the Silenx (with you facing the front of the case, most cases have the left panel off, hope this is clear!).

Because of this, it may be a bit messy in terms of hiding cables...

2) the ATX lead (hope I got the terminology right, anyway I mean the MB power lead) is really chunky, as it had to have an adapter to fit into the K8T (and, I assume most normal ATX boards). Not a problem if you have a nice and spacious case like me, but it might be a tight fit if you have a smaller case with lots of cables lying around.

hope this helps!

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:13 pm

Jordan,
I have the 380W version...at first I didn't like it because I had the clicking noise...it's just the ball bearings some times making clicking noise because they spin so slow...at least this is my conclusion. It will get a bit noisy if you leave the power supply inside the case. I follow Mike C's lead and I've moved all my power supplies outside of the case. This brings cool air to the power supply so the fans don't ramp up...and the you don't put an extra 100W into the case...so the over all system is cool as well. You can also try power supply air channel, by modding your case.

All of the wires they use is very good quality...thicker than any other power supply I have seen. Though...if you have a problem...good luck. I sent them two emails...no reply. Bottomline...it's cheaper, better quality, and heavy power supply...only problem is I don't know how their quality control is with their products. You willing to gamble $100...I say go for it.. otherwise try something else. P.s. I though about modding my Tagan, but it's tough to find a good quiet 80mm fan when spinning so low.

manalainen

Post by manalainen » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:00 am

Well well,

seems that Tagan isn´t overly keen on answering anyones emails...

I emailed their tech support twice over the period of two weeks, polite and informative posts where I outlined the problem (ticking and buzzing), when it took place (12V rail getting hammered doing dual instances of Prime95 etc.) and about every detail of my system components I had installed at that time.

I then waited for another week because I didn´t receive any reply and sent an email to their european sales staff commenting the behaviour and responsivenes of their tech support staff. No reply from there either...

It´s quite funny, that PSU is outwardly perhaps the best built PSU I have owned, quality is seen and felt, the cables, fit and finish and everything. I would really like to love this piece of supposedly quality engineering. But the fact that trying to contact them was an experience akin to talking to a rock has led me to conclude that they treally don´t stand 100% behind their products. In case of a problem you are left on your own.

xarope

Post by xarope » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:05 am

manalainen wrote:I emailed their tech support twice over the period of two weeks, polite and informative posts where I outlined the problem (ticking and buzzing), when it took place (12V rail getting hammered doing dual instances of Prime95 etc.) and about every detail of my system components I had installed at that time.
Hey manalainen, interesting about 12V rail getting hammered, I haven't run dual instances of Prime95 etc, but I do have a K8T w/AMD64 3200, and ATI 9800 pro rig which does pull a lot on the 12V, and I haven't noticed any ticking and buzzing when playing e.g. Farcry @ 1024x768. If I have time over the weekend I may have to try with Prime95.

Unless I'm just lucky with my Tagan!

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:22 am

I didn't notice a problem with 12V either looking at my MBM readings when playing Generals for a few hours...though I don't know if it's as tough as a benchmark program....though I know Generals does utilize a lot of the computer.

I also forgot to mention...my video card died recently...and funny thing was the power supply was constantly clicking...at the same time I also noticed that the fan and other devices was still moving. I took the same video card and put it into another system (Antec Aria) and it wouldn't get any fans to move. So it does have some sort of short circuit protection...I recently got a loaner video card from co-worker and the Tagan power supply seems fine...I have to wait until I get my video card back from RMA to find out if the system and power supply is okay.