Coolmax CX series PSU cable length and # of connectors??

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

tensecondz

Coolmax CX series PSU cable length and # of connectors??

Post by tensecondz » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:19 pm

Hi, Having read every review on newegg as well as on these boards I have decided that this PSU is a great value.

However, I have read conflicting reviews on the length of the cables and the # of molex conectors. Many people claim only 4 molex connectors and somewhat short cables overall. The only consistent item is one SATA power.

The model I am going to purchase is the CX-500B I dont need this many watts, however it is the only unit that has a good 12V line. Incidently, I would recommend people either buy the 400 unit or jump to the 500 unit as the 450 unit is only 15Amps on the 12V when the 400 has 18V. For many systems 15A just aint gonna cut it!

Thanks for any input.

tensecondz

Post by tensecondz » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:06 pm

bump

shathal

Post by shathal » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:10 pm

tensecondz - WELCOME TO SPCR :)

If I might make a suggestion - tell us why you think this is the PSU "for you"? Is it a cost-thing? A cost/Connector-thing? Or ...? :).

If we know what you are looking for - and if we have a rough idea of what you need to power, we might be able to help you out more (or at least suggest PSU's which we're familiar with)? :).

Hope this helps you get started :).

tensecondz

Post by tensecondz » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:21 pm

Hi and thanks Shathal.

Well I am putting together a decent 32bit AMD system that will hold me over for a year or so before A64.

I am not looking for a Silent system, but currently I am spoiled on my Dell 400SC compared to other systems that I have built. Quiet would be great.

So my logic is to buy "robust framework" AKA Tower, PSU, drives so that they will transfer nicely into an A64 system.

The case is a full tower Chieftec, So i need a decent length cable system. In addition, currently I need to power 2 hd's 2 opticals and a Video Card. In the future I will most likely be running 2 more drives.

The Coolmax series has gotten good reviews on this forum as well as Newegg, but I cant find a definitive answer on the # of molex connectors. Some say 4, 5 and 6. 4 is wayy to little, and I can deal with six. So I wanted to confirm from current owners the profile of the power cables.

Thanks

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:42 pm

Just thought I'd chime in here: I am personally using a Coolmax Taurus CX 350-watt model here (with the 12cm fan), in my AMD Athlon XP-2700 system, and it is VERY quiet. A couple of people here have also said this PSU seems quieter than the 12cm Fortron models. From what I've heard here, I suspect this PSU might not be nearly as quiet as a Seasonic, but it is quiet enough for my liking. It is also very stable; I've never had a problem with mine. They seem fairly well-built, too, and the main ATX cable is sleeved, which is a nice touch.

You may look at my system profile in my signature, in case it helps give you any clue whether or not a 350-watt model will be powerful enough for you. :D

cruelsister

Post by cruelsister » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:31 am

Ten- sent you a PM.

cruelsister

Post by cruelsister » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:30 pm

Zuper- It really can't get any better than the Coolmax. As I'm typing this I'm a foot away from my 1080AMG case. The noise coming from it is from the Zalman 7000 (at low rpm) and a very very high pitched whine from my Seagate 120GB SATA drive.

The Coolmax 450 Taurus is silent. You're not going to find any quieter, and at $50 delivered I doubt you'll find one cheaper.