Etasis EFN-300 Fanless PSU in UK for ~£150 (any good?)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

jimbobUK

Etasis EFN-300 Fanless PSU in UK for ~£150 (any good?)

Post by jimbobUK » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:50 pm

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/pro ... 30&cat=548

Just stumbled across this.. anyone had any experience with it... quite a nice price for a fanless model.. be nice to get a silent pc review of it... how much it can handle etc.

DonP

Post by DonP » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:09 pm

Never seen it myself but here are pictures, internal and external, comment and measurements:
http://www.materiel.be/alims/etasis/page1.php

btw.. they're also available from Scan in the UK.

jimbobUK

Post by jimbobUK » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:46 pm

cool i always buy from overclockers and had never brought from the other place..

I dunno.. in my water cooled rig the fans doing the cooling are audible depending on what temp i want.. but the hdds are mostly the problem.. I dunno how much i'll gain by going fanless... It is exactly what i wanted though previously.. just to be sure that its going to be able to cope well... surely at that price its a pretty good price point for fanless..

DonP

Post by DonP » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:47 pm

jimbobUK wrote:...but the hdds are mostly the problem.. I dunno how much i'll gain by going fanless...
To test the noise produced by your HDDs then just power them down. To do this quickly and easily without breaking anything then simply put your computer in suspend mode (through the "turn off computer" dialog in XP) - this should keep all fans running but power down your hard disks.
Then have a good listen to see the difference.
Pressing a key or moving the mouse should wake up the disks and OS.