Modding an Antec True480w

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

psychofunk

Modding an Antec True480w

Post by psychofunk » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:38 am

Okay so I did alot of reading and everyone seems to not like the Antecs (too hot, too noisey and no air circ). And buying another PSU just to have to mod it, would really freakin suck, so I want to try and mod mine and hopefully come up with something quiet, cool and powerful.

I was thinking I could cut out a hole for a 120mm and replace that 92mm with a Papst 4412FGL and replace the 80mm with a Nexus 80mm. Then I would reverse the fans so that the 80 sucked cool air from outside into the PSU and the 120 would exhaust. Then my 120mm blow hole would take the case heat out of the case.

So in doing this mod I see two problems, one is will the fans turn on at the amount of voltage the psu gives to each fan when cool (5v or less I think) and will those two fans be able to keep things cool (bear in mind I do not mind either at a full 12v). I was hoping that being a slow 120mm that it would be able to move at least as much as the 92mm that it is replacing. Are there any problems that I am missing?

Thanks

psycho

psychofunk

Post by psychofunk » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:45 pm

anyone?

Putz

Post by Putz » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:17 am

You have a "blowhole"? Try turning that hole into an intake for the PSU (using a duct of some type), and then only using that fan for the PSU (turn off or remove the stock fans in the PSU). More details about your setup would help us to advise you.

psychofunk

Post by psychofunk » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:37 am

Problem is this is part of bigger project I have going. Basically I have a YY cube and I am building a 18"x15"x4" under case water cooling box that will house two Black Ice Pro II's (or two Swifty Rad676's) with four papst 120mm 4412FGL's pulling air through them and into the case all of which is to be exhausted by a 120mm 4412FGL blow hole which is in the middle of a big custom dragon cutout surrounding the hole (yeah I'll probaly finish in 4 or 5 years). So I was thinking of making a funnel/tunnel type deal within the psu using the back (where there is no hot air) as the intake and the bottom flipped to be on top and sucking the air out, also towards the blowhole. But the two problems I mentioned at the end of my first post are the things I am trying to figure out. I hope this makes sense, I am often bad at describing what is in my brain other than mush.

psychofunk

Post by psychofunk » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:22 am

Can someone at least link me to other articles on the same thing. I did a search and got up a shyt load of stuff and read and read and read but got no where.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:42 am

You could try a variation of what Bluefront did in:
One-Fan Computer. It's complete and cool/quiet!

He creates a bigger box for the PSU, so it can "breath" better. You're not dumping the CPU heat through your PSU, so it should work with an hot Antec PSU too.