Enermax vs. Seasonic re 12V amps

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Etherian

Enermax vs. Seasonic re 12V amps

Post by Etherian » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:56 pm

Hi. I'm planning on putting a system together fairly soon and have narrowed the PSU selection down to the Seasonic SS/ST 2.0 460W/400W and the Enermax Noisetaker 2.0 485W.

The Seasonics are not as robust on the +12V lines on max amps, even the 460W, which is a concern, but my impression is that their overall quality is superior to Enermax. Does the Enermax really push that many more amps than the Seasonic, given the virtually equivalent power ratings? Also, are there any disadvantages to having two 12V rails, regarding stability, wasted power with a CPU-dedicated line, etc.?

Any feedback would be appreciated - negative/positive experiences with either PSU in terms of reliability.

Thanks.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:16 am

The eneramax Noise taker 485 is very new, I havent seen any reviews on it yet. But the Noisetaker 475 1.3 which I own has twin 12v rails and are very stable, also you can get the 475 in version 2.0, really a good PSU very silent and powerfull.

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:09 am

Are you sure you need that many 12V Amps? Do the maths, and I think you'll find most systems come in under the 20A mark.
I don't think there are any disadvantages to having dual 12V rails, as long as each individual rail has enough juice for the components you intend to run on that rail. (Basically, motherboard + CPU on one rail, molex and other power connectors on the other).
And when do you intend to build? Seasonic has a dual 12V rail PSU in the works, which should allay any 12V concerns you may have. It's not been announced yet, so it could be many months before it is available... or it might be out just after Christmas. Just something to keep your eye out for.