external fanless PSU?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dbri

Post by dbri » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Been looking at some of the mini-itx cases at
<BR><!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.mini-itx.com/hardware/cases.asp" target="_blank">http://www.mini-itx.com/hardware/cases.asp</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end -->
<BR>It struck me to see 'external PSU', which apparently is some 120vAC->[email protected] converter, and then inside the case they have some DC-DC converter board, which I assume is full of the electronics to make 12VDC into a real ATX supply with all the signaling and special voltages.
<BR>
<BR>Are these 'converters' available separately? Anyone know anything about this?
<BR>
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Surely it's nothing more than a largish transformer encased in plastic with a lead & plug -- the kind we all have at least half a dozen of.
[addsig]

dbri

Post by dbri » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

yes the 'outside' converter from ac-dc is probably just a transformer like is in every wall-wart ..... but how do they convert 12V DC @4.6A into an ATX capable supply? Theyd need electronics to do that power-on signaling stuff and to split the 12V off into 5, 3.3 and all that.
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

I think you're right about that electronics being part of the case. Anyone with a MiniITX case to comment here, please??
[addsig]

seishino

how much power...

Post by seishino » Sun Aug 25, 2002 10:07 am

I remember reading on one of these sites that the converter provides about 50 w of power, which is just barely enough to access a (laptop) HD, run a (laptop) CD player, and power the (eden) motherboard all at once. I would hesitate to put one of these in anything more than an Eden. Interestingly, mini-itx.com listed a juicy "light" system (which appears to use a fan :( ) that contains on-motherboard power.

Now that is a development I would love to see progress!

jsw
-- Vendor --

Post by jsw » Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:18 am

MikeC wrote:I think you're right about that electronics being part of the case. Anyone with a MiniITX case to comment here, please??
[addsig]
Yes, the case has a small board that contains the electronics to do the ATX PSU stuff.