Antec TruePower's fans

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Pierre-Yves

Antec TruePower's fans

Post by Pierre-Yves » Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:22 am

I would just like to know the size of the fans used in Antec's PSU as I would like to replace the default ones with Panaflo.
By the way, has anyone modded a Antec TruePower and achieved lower noise ?

thanks

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:34 am

I don't have a TruePower, but I've modified my SmartPower 400W with an 18CFM NMB fan. I had to attach a panaflo 2 pin connector to my fan and then shave a lot of plastic off to get the connector to fit the header. According to my cheapo sound meter, I got a 5 dB reduction in noise.

quokked

Post by quokked » Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:14 am

The two fan sizes are 92MM and 80MM
92MM is the one in the bottom of the case and the 80MM one is the one in the back

http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/psu/truepower330/

hyum

Post by hyum » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:39 pm

i have a true power. i removed the 80mm fan, replaced the 92mm with a papst low-RPM fan, and connected the fan to the external temp controlled fan header. i also taped all venting up except for the 80mm hole for the vacant 80mm fan so that all exhaust is moved outside the case. noise is highly reduced.

Pierre-Yves

Post by Pierre-Yves » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:17 am

thank you hyum !
Were you able to compare the noise to a one-fan seasonic or zalman ? I guess it should be quieter as the fan is well inside the case.

I believe i'll get a Truepower 380W or 430W and mod it like you did. It's for use within a dual athlon system so a PSU sucking air from beneath is good (that's what AMD recommend).

On last question : Is the fan a Papst 3412 N/2GL 92 mm (advertised as 23dB) ?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:37 am

damn thats so simple but such genius, i mean 90mm fans are quiter and move more air, if the fan is further inside the case then its quieter, plus blowing cool air on something cools better than sucking heat off of something, thats why almost all heatsinks are made that way. Hey hyum hows it working out for u, i might do that too.

Pierre-Yves

Post by Pierre-Yves » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:11 am

GamingGod: I would not be so confident about the PSU heat impact of having a fan beneath the PSU.

When the fan is below the PSU, the air is warmer because it is coming from above the CPU. When the fan is on the back of the PSU, the air is not coming from the CPU zone but from the front of the case. So I doubt it will change anything for the PSU cooling.

However I believe it is better for noise (less noise) and for the CPU zone temperature (cooler as more air is sucked from this zone). Indeed, I did notice some CPU & motherboard temperature increase (2°C, I do agree it is not very significant and I will double check this) when I replaced the noisy 2 fans Eneremax PSU with a much quieter Seasonic 300W (with only on back fan that blow air outside and suck it from the front).

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:40 pm

what about if they designed a power supply, cause i doubt it could be modded to make it this way, that had the 92 on the bottom and just a hole in the top of it, no side vents at all, and it blew out of the top of the case? I know it doesnt fit atx format, but u think that would work better anyone? or even just use 92mm fans on psu's instead of 80s.

hyum

Post by hyum » Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:44 pm

it's a 3412NGL. since i'm in north america, i tend to prefer the availability and price of panaflo's versus papast and my subjective performance is nearly identical, esp. at low voltaging. i bought a large combination of both fans brands in all different sized to compare them myself. after reaching my subjective conclusion, all my new fans have been panaflo's when it made sense.

i have not compared it to any other off the shelf power supplies. all my other power supplies (i have like 5 of them in different computers- sparkle, deer, generics, etc.) have all had their 80mm exhuast fans replaced (they didn't have intake fans) with panaflo's @5V. these are all nearly silent, esp. at more than a couple feet.

the difference with my true power (TP) mod from my other PSs, is that it's a 92mm fan, but it's not running on 5V. it's running on the temp controller fan header, which starts at around 4.5V-5.5V. it settles around 7.5V at 23 degree C ambient, and around 9V when it gets really hot in my room in the summer, at around 33 degree C. i have 3 more fans in the computer: (1) 120mmx38mm panalfo exhaust fan on the TP fan temp controlled header, (1) 120mmx25mm JMC low-RPM fan @5V at the bottom intake, and a 92mm fan over a swiftech MXC462 (a good but expensive heatsink- there are cheaper and even better solutions than the swiftech for low-noise as mike has shown in his articles so i don't recommend it as a first choice) mounted on a open-air 80mm-to-92mm mounting adapter, also running on the fan temp controlled header.

i can't hear my computer from the chair a couple feet away, _except_ for the damn whine of the IBM GXPs. until i replace or muflle the drives, it is pointless to try silence fan noise anymore (if even needed) as the fans cannot be heard at all over the HDDs idle whine. when my drives go into sleep mode, though, i can't hear my computer over ambient noise.

i bougt my HDDs before i got into this whole "silent" thing. like many here, i started out just trying to quiet my computer done a little bit, and now i'm bothered by even relatively small computer noises. sound familiar? :)

hyum

Post by hyum » Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:56 pm

oh one more thing to add:

in my case, i purposely wanted the PS to suck in hot air from the CPU area to help assist in CPU cooling. also, i wanted the CPU temp to provide some feedback into the temp controlled loop of the powersupply so that the case and CPU fans spun up, not just based on case ambient air, but also adjusted according to the CPU temp. the exhuast temp on the PS is not that hot so overheating the PS is not really a concern for me. i used a low-end fluke meter to measure my temps.

if overheating the PS is a concern for a particualr setup, then the PS intake or outake fan versus noise has it's advantages and disadvantages that i think the system setup will dictate which one work better versus a general rule of thumb.