Water cooled PSU article.

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

wussboy

Water cooled PSU article.

Post by wussboy » Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:13 pm

I'm at work and don't really have time to check out if someone has posted this or not, but there was a link to a how-to water cool your PSU article on the front page of [H]. I haven't read it yet, but here's the link:

http://www.digital-explosion.co.uk/inde ... ticleID=65

bobkoure

you could do the same thing with hard drives

Post by bobkoure » Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:51 am

without fear of getting zapped.
This article's got me thinking of making some simple HDD water coolers.
HDDs (at least all the ones I've looked at) seem to be set up to conduct heat to their sides - so all you'd really need is some copper plate, drilled to line up with the HDD mount screws and with a simple loop of copper tube soldered on. For installation simplicity, you'd just use flexible tube to connect the two sides to the system cooling circuit.
Oh - you could add some tort of elastomeric mounting system to the plates so they'd fit into 5.25" drive bays - or figure some other sort of mount system.
If you weren't concerned with HDD noise you could likely just design/mount the plates for the outside of the HDD cage - and maybe use heatsink compound to encourage heat flow from disk to cage and again from cage to plate.
The motivation for HDD water cooling is to conduct heat from yet another source outside the case. The more of this you can conduct this way, the less air you need to move through the case (to the point where, eventually, you might be able to passively cool it)
Bob
PS: Just thoughts - haven't actually done any of this...