|PSU Forum Guide: Read before posting!
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||MikeC [ Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:48 am ]|
|Post subject:||PSU Forum Guide: Read before posting!|
A summary, a starting point, and directions to other PSU info on SPCR. This is NOT comprehensive, but helps answer common questions to avoid the repetition too often seen in forums like this. You're welcome to suggest additions.
1. Check the Power Supply Fundamentals and Recommended Power Supplies articles The latter is a listing of quiet PSUs. Most on the list have been reviewed by SPCR and provide links to the reviews and/or articles that feature the product. The Power Supply Fundamentals article has a detailed discussion that will help you understand more about PSUs from a noise, heat and power perspective.
2. Read the PSU reviews and articles in the Power section. The reviews are detailed & comprehensive. The articles are experimental, investigative, DIY, meant to answer questions some of you may have asked and sometimes to ask more questions.
3. Before you post, at least scan through the forums to see if the info you seek hasn't already been covered half a dozen times. Makes it more fun & productive for all.
4. Modifying PSUs can be tricky, potentially dangerous work. Check the forums, but if you want to do much more than swap the fan, slow it down with a resistor or thermistor reposition, or open up the grill vents, you're pretty much on your own. There's almost always someone who's tried it before so if you're embarking on something adventurous, well worth a post.
5. This little piece (in the fans & control section) about swapping out the PSU fan for a quieter one is worth reading if you plan to do this.
6. How much power do I need? One of the most often asked questions, most PCs need less power than you think. See the discussion of this in the Recommended PSU page. There are many threads, the most relevant being How much will a 300w power supply run?
Core PSU Discussions...
PSU temp measurements??
The Problems w/Fanless ATX PSUs
Does "Evacuate the heat" role for the PSU work?
The Truth about PSU power ratings
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 8 hours|
|Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group