LOUD Dell needs help

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

cmoffett

LOUD Dell needs help

Post by cmoffett » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:59 am

Hi,
This has got to be the loudest Dell I've ever heard. Most of it seems to be the power supply. But before I muck with it any feedback would be appreciated.

Here's what I've got:
Dell xps400
Dual P4's
Dual 160G hard drives with Raid 0
2G RAM
DVD ROM
DVD RW
256MB GeForce 6800 video

It looks like it has just one case fan which I can hear with my ear to it, but the power supply is drowning it out. The current psu is 375W and I gather it is proprietary to Dell. Any thoughts on what I can do?

It looks like there is a psu converter for Dells, which I'll need, yes? Any other words of wisdom, cautions, or recommendations for psu's, wattages?

Thank you,
Chris

Tamas

Re: LOUD Dell needs help

Post by Tamas » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:40 am

cmoffett wrote:Hi,
This has got to be the loudest Dell I've ever heard. Most of it seems to be the power supply. But before I muck with it any feedback would be appreciated.

Here's what I've got:
Dell xps400
Dual P4's
Dual 160G hard drives with Raid 0
2G RAM
DVD ROM
DVD RW
256MB GeForce 6800 video

It looks like it has just one case fan which I can hear with my ear to it, but the power supply is drowning it out. The current psu is 375W and I gather it is proprietary to Dell. Any thoughts on what I can do?

It looks like there is a psu converter for Dells, which I'll need, yes? Any other words of wisdom, cautions, or recommendations for psu's, wattages?

Thank you,
Chris
The P4 prescott has very high power needs. It's hard to find a quiet power supply for a dual P4 config. Maybe try a Seasonic S12 430W with 12cm fan, but be careful with the compatibility (in terms of size/voltages) Dell, Compaq and other brand manufacturers like to use unique power supply solutions.
http://www.seasonicusa.com/products.php?lineId=9

cmoffett

Post by cmoffett » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:48 pm

Hmm. So the 375W that it came with is too low? Maybe that is why it is ramped up all the time?

I was looking at Nexus NX4090 with 400W's. Does that sound like a reasonable option?

Thanks, I will definitely take a look at size and voltage. Good to know.

Chris

Tamas

Post by Tamas » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:45 pm

cmoffett wrote:Hmm. So the 375W that it came with is too low? Maybe that is why it is ramped up all the time?

I was looking at Nexus NX4090 with 400W's. Does that sound like a reasonable option?

Thanks, I will definitely take a look at size and voltage. Good to know.

Chris
No if you are using a good quality PSU the 375W also enough for this config. The key factor is the PSU's fan controller and the fan quality.

The Nexus and the Seasonic also a good choice.
-The 12cm and good quality fan provides high air flow, quiet operation.
-Both of them have a good fan controller.
-High efficiency, less heat produced in the PSU.

In the last two points, the Seasonic is tought better.

cmoffett

Post by cmoffett » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:14 am

Oops. Sorry. As I went looking at the mounts on the current PSU I got my ear even closer and it turns out that it is not the PSU at all. It's a screaming video card. I've re-posted to the appropriate forum. Thanks for the PSU advise, but it appears I had us barking up the wrong tree.
(It turns out the nVidia 6800 is sitting right under the tv tuner, and I'm wondering whether Dell just did a crappy layout job.)

Thanks again,
Chris

pcweltz

Post by pcweltz » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:00 pm

Dell uses a non-standard wiring config for their power supplies anyway......PC Power and Cooling makes replacements that will work; standard Seasonics and the like will not.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:43 pm

Dell uses a non-standard wiring config for their power supplies anyway......PC Power and Cooling makes replacements that will work; standard Seasonics and the like will not.

This is an urban legend that I have often come across while trawling through various computer forums; I have to say in my case it has turned out not to be true. I have a brand new Dimension 2400 in which I have swapped out the Dell PSU for a non-Dell cr@ppy generic PSU, and it works just fine.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:42 am

jaganath wrote:

This is an urban legend that I have often come across while trawling through various computer forums; I have to say in my case it has turned out not to be true. I have a brand new Dimension 2400 in which I have swapped out the Dell PSU for a non-Dell cr@ppy generic PSU, and it works just fine.
No it's not. It's just that Dell has started using more standard connectors over the past few years. The earlier Dells are not easy to upgrade.