Anyone tried a Coolmax?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Herb W.

Anyone tried a Coolmax?

Post by Herb W. » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:57 am

Those of us looking for a 400 watt+ power supply that is quiet don't have too many good options right now. I was wondering if anyone had tried the new Coolmax PSUs - they are getting great reivews the last few weeks showing rock-solid rail voltage at load, and although they have no fewer than THREE fans, they do have a three position switch allowing auto-regulation via temps as well as a manual low-speed setting. Reviewers have said that this PSU is extremely quiet at the low setting, although that could mean anything.... any experiences out there? These units appear well-made with huge heatsinks, but are a lot cheaper than the high-output Ultra-Quiet PSUs.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:46 am

I looked at the reviews of 2 different versions (470 & 550) and I don't like it. 3 fans is overkill for a PSU. The heatsinks are a good size. The combined power output of the 3.3 & 5V rails on the 470 is less than what my Antec 400W can do. Dissapointing. The cables are also too long. I'd stick with the recommended PSU's on the Recommended page.

Herb W.

PSU choices...

Post by Herb W. » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:23 pm

Thing is, I will be getting a P4, and they draw their ~ 9A (when OC'ed) from the +12 volt line - I have found that after doing the caluculations for my system as suggested by a link given somewhere here that this +12 V power is the critical figure to look at - there is always plenty on the 3.3 and 5 V lines, but even some bigger PSUs are only capable of putting out 12-15 A on the +12 . For the 20% headroom recommended over max draw, I need 20A (240 Watts) on 12 V for my config... If the Truepower 430 is drawing max A allowable on its 3.3 and 5v rails there are only 17 A left for the 12 volt. Probably an unrealistic scenario though, to have everything drawing full power simultaneously.

The reviews I have seen actually commended the Coolmax for having shorter cables than some of the other premium PSUs. And if their fans are really running quietly on their low power setting, 3 fans may not be much of an issue - that's why I would like to hear from someone who has heard the thing.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:11 pm

While I have not tested seen or heard a Coolmax, everything about it looks like a clone of the Vantec 3-fan PSUs. These PSUs are not made by either Coolmax or Vantec -- they're coming from some big PSU factory in China. Bottom line: NO WAY it can be quiet. 3 fans of the same noise level will be ~4-5 dBA louder than 1. BUT more than that, there is the added turbulence of the 3 fans producing conflicting airflows inside the PSU -- that's worth abother 4-5 dBA IMO. If you want quiet, don't touch it!

My plain spoken 2 cents.

Herb W.

Coolmax noise calculations

Post by Herb W. » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:41 pm

I think I'll probably go Seasonic - if I can find a Canadian source....

Just pulled the figures for the 470 Watt Coolmax from the graph on the unit: at 30C, the 3 fans are going at 1500 RPM; at 40C, 2000 RPM; 50 C, 2500. These revs seem pretty low, but there are of course three fans. Somewhere Mike you laid out a way of estimating the noise from figures like this but now I can't find the message... could you let me know the link or the formula - tx.

Postscript - I just looked at the Zalman fan speed X temp graph and see that the fans on the Coolmax are rated to run significantly faster at 50C - 2500 RPM vs. <1500 RPM. And no doubt considerably noisier. Of course the Zalman is only a 300 watt supply.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Re: Coolmax noise calculations

Post by powergyoza » Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:50 pm

Herb W. wrote:I think I'll probably go Seasonic - if I can find a Canadian source....

Just pulled the figures for the 470 Watt Coolmax from the graph on the unit: at 30C, the 3 fans are going at 1500 RPM; at 40C, 2000 RPM; 50 C, 2500. These revs seem pretty low, but there are of course three fans.
From my educated guess and experience with Panaflos (which spin @ 1900rpm, default voltage), I'd say 1500rpm would make for a loud PSU.