PSU fan resonance reduction methods

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

The Quiet Finn

PSU fan resonance reduction methods

Post by The Quiet Finn » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:59 pm

Hi,

wanted to share a quick-mod that I found useful:

PSU: Seasonic Super Tornado 300 with the built-in 120mm fan

First I installed the PSU to my case the old-fashioned way; with metal screws

Being an otherwise fanless system, I was disappointed when I could clearly hear the PSU fan a couple of meters away. It turned out to be fan vibration-induced resonance from the thin aluminium cover of the case.

Since I didn't want to a) void my warranty or b) get an "electric perm" hairdo, I didn't open the PSU.

But, I did this: (whilst system was unplugged of cos ;) )
-unscrewed the PSU fan's screws. The fan dropped down a few millimeters and rested on the heatsinks
-wriggled elastic cords thru the now empty fan screw holes and managed to suspend the fan within the PSU from its ceiling. It now rests a couple of millimeters from the ceiling and doesn't touch anything inside.

To further reduce the resonance I also unscrewed the PSU from the case, stuck 3 felt pads on its bottom and slid it to its proper position - a few millimeters from all case walls

Result: all case resonance gone. The fan, and whole system is audible only very close up. Happy Happy Joy Joy :)

Anyone done anything similar?

Arcanthis

Post by Arcanthis » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:03 am

You might be interested in something like this http://www.pccasegear.com/prod880.htm. Don't know if they're any good. You can also get them for fans. There was a review somewhere on the web...