is the Antec NeoHE dangerous??

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Puffi

is the Antec NeoHE dangerous??

Post by Puffi » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:25 pm

i have an Antec P150 in the mail... and the Asus A8N-SLI Premium as well. i know this isn't a very smart setup to begin with, but my question is this:

should i even try to use the Antec's power supply? i have some serious hardware going inside the case and i dont want 2000$ worth of equipment to fry...

i've heard a million stories about how the power supply just freezes or something, which i dont mind. i have a Nexus 4090 i can use once i wait for a working NeoHE to be sent from Antec. but if there's real danger of it frying components i'm just going to sell the NeoHE without even trying it.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:41 pm

I don't think I've seen any reports of the NeoHE frying components. The problem has to do with hypersensitive protection circuits on the NeoHE shutting it down when it shouldn't be. The NeoHEs aren't failing in the traditional sense, so I don't see why it would be dangerous. Just annoying, and potentially leading to data corruption if it shuts down during a disc write.

Puffi

Post by Puffi » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:43 pm

yes that's what i read too. but i also read a post on another forum where someone said it actually fried his hard drive and graphics card... i dont think he explained the details of it all, or i missed it, but it's what got me to start this thread.

i just want to be sure...

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:28 pm

Puffi wrote:yes that's what i read too. but i also read a post on another forum where someone said it actually fried his hard drive and graphics card... i dont think he explained the details of it all, or i missed it, but it's what got me to start this thread.

i just want to be sure...
Don't believe everything you read on forums. I have seen some pretty incredible claims on other forums. There are lots of trolls out there.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:11 pm

I had the same concern when I received my Neo, even though I had an S12 380W, I tried the Neo and it worked without any problems.

Good luck

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:01 pm

It's quite likely it did fry his components, but there's no reason to assume that that particular failure was a result of the more general incompatibilities.

Every single power supply on the market comes with a small risk of failure and damage to whatever components are connected to it. I'm sure that the widespread complaints about compatibility brought to light more complaints of other problems than would usually be noticed.

Long story short: No, I don't believe the risk is any greater than with any other power supply.

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:25 pm

I agree with the others - damage is possible, but unlikely. The fault that would most likely damage your computer would be overvoltage, and most PSUs have overvoltage protection built-in.

Puffi

Post by Puffi » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:56 am

thanks, i guess i'll try it out and see what happens. it should be better than the Nexus so i guess it's worth the risk.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:23 am

well, i fried my motherboard (a8n sli premium), but I neither know whether or not i was at this point even using the neoHE, nor if i was whether it was at fault.

Hillie

Post by Hillie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:25 am

Puffi wrote:thanks, i guess i'll try it out and see what happens. it should be better than the Nexus so i guess it's worth the risk.
Why do you feel it's better than the Nexus 4090? I just ordered a 4090 to replace the NeoHE in my P150. ;)