Even quieter seasonic PS

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

jinu117

Even quieter seasonic PS

Post by jinu117 » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:50 pm

I wasn't sure if I should bother modding this one considering it is already quiet. But since I have left over Vantec stealth fan and esoteric mount for fan, I will give it some time.
I used 5/32 drill bit to make holes for missing 2 mount position in seasonic 350W. Than proceeded to make 3 pin connenction from PSU. (I never really hardwire my mods... its always extension cables cut for use in case I need to swap fans or use something else).
Put Vantec stealth using EAR mount. By putting my hand on it, I verified it reduces the vibration of PSU by more than half. (my case is already modded so there is no metal to metal contact on PSU from case so the result could be different if there was hard metal to metal contact - presumably even more).
PSU temperature went up by 1-2c. Fan speed is reduced by 250-300 RPM. (I can't really read it with MBM as it has hard time reading anything under 1000 RPM most of time with my MB, I let the system sit on bios for about an hour to verify this and at the time it ran at 860-900 RPM consistently)
Other than the HDD, the real noise maker is vantec modded CPU fan that is churning at 1600 RPM as well as the exhaust running at same speed now. Never ending cycle of combatting for even more silence.

Doomer

Re: Even quieter seasonic PS

Post by Doomer » Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:37 pm

jinu117 wrote:Put Vantec stealth using EAR mount. By putting my hand on it, I verified it reduces the vibration of PSU by more than half. (my case is already modded so there is no metal to metal contact on PSU from case so the result could be different if there was hard metal to metal contact - presumably even more).
You PSU is responsible of grounding the chassis of your PC and the components connected to it. I would advice to put wire between the PSU and the case.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:09 am

You are absolutely right. It eluded me. I shall do that right now. Thank you.