It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Replacing Q-tech PSU fan?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:39 am 

The most noisy thing in my computer is my Q-tech 300W PSU. I wonder if it would help to change the PSU fan to a Papst 8412 NGL (1500 rpm). Will that be enough to cool the PSU? (I'm using two other Papsts to cool the case.)
Also: Should I connect the fan to the old fanwires or should I take the power from the MoBo's 3pin-connector?
I don't know the model of the PSU but I bought it 2 years ago and it has quite small heatsinks, is temperaturecontrolled and has a switch for voltage selection (110/230) on the back.
My system: Athlon 1GHz, 512MB, CD, 2 HDD, Gforce2MX and an Aardvark Q10 soundcard (that should be able to feed 48v to 4 mics)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:55 pm 

Are you talking about the Q-Technology 300W or the cheap and crappy Q-Tec power supply? That one has the smallest heatsinks I've seen in a power supply. Changing the fan in that PSU would probably turn it into a small oven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:10 pm 

Oh, I didn't know there was a difference. I think it's a Q technology 730 something though. I removed the label when I made extra ventilation holes towards the processor as advised by AMD but I don't know if that was a good idea... :?