request recommendations

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

DashDanger

request recommendations

Post by DashDanger » Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:54 am

I've read most of the post in this forum and I've learned a great deal that I didn't know before. However, I'm still uncertain what PSU I should use in my project. I'm going to use a VIA EPIA M9000 with a 80gig Seagate Barracuda IV and a full size DVD CDROM drive (not sure what brand yet) to use as a MP3 and DVD player. No monitor at this time but maybe a LCD display. Also, might try to add some PVR capability later. This will sit in my living room so I want the unit to be as quite as possible. It doesn't have to be completely silent the cabinet that it well be in has glass doors that I can close. Also I'm not sure about the case. I might build my own out of plexiglass. If I build my own then I'd like for the PSU to be small. I've looked at these http://store.ituner.com/ituner/pw60cabatxpo.html but they only provide 60 watts and I'm concerned that with 80gig harddrive and full size DVD that might not be enough. Feel free to comment on this if I'm wrong. I've looked at the Seasonic SS-135NP Flex ATX 135W Power Supply but I don't think I've seen anything specific to this model and some people on this forum aren't happy with level of quietness from Seasonic units.
Please give me your thoughts on what I should consider. This forum has been a great spot to collect information and ideas. Sometimes I over collect. I could use some help moving forward.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:48 am

If you build your own, I can recommend the SS-200SFD SFX Seasonic PSU used in the Breadbox PC. It is very quiet. They also make 2 others in the same form factor, a 170w and 145W.

If mounted so that the fan is directly over the CPU, you may be able to run the EPIA fanless. Whatever PSU you choose, if it is not fanless, go for one with an 80mm fan, not smaller. You'll have a better chance of getting or making one really quiet.

DashDanger

Post by DashDanger » Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:32 am

Thanks MickC for the quick reply. I read the Breadbox PC some time ago and had forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me.
If I read the specs right, the SS-200SFD is 220volt input only. I'm in the US so that won't do but the SS-180SFD looks good. It doesn't say what size the fan is but it looks like it might be 80mm. Do you know that it is? Also do you know what brand of fan it is and if it can be replaced?

As for mounting the PSU over the CPU, on the EPIA M9000 the CPU was moved forward a bit so the only way to get the PSU fan over it would be to have it mounted on the side of the box. That would put the power cord coming out the side. No big problem I guess but kind of different. I wasn't shooting for fanless CPU anyway. I put a fanmate on it and turned it down some and it gets pretty quite.

Would you agree the the DC2DC power supply (60 watts) probably isn't enough or am I over concerned about that?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:50 am

DashDanger wrote:1) ... the SS-200SFD is 220volt input only. I'm in the US so that won't do but the SS-180SFD looks good. It doesn't say what size the fan is but it looks like it might be 80mm. Do you know that it is? Also do you know what brand of fan it is and if it can be replaced?

2) ...on the EPIA M9000 the CPU was moved forward a bit so the only way to get the PSU fan over it would be to have it mounted on the side of the box.

3) Would you agree the the DC2DC power supply (60 watts) probably isn't enough or am I over concerned about that?
1) Don't think that's the case. I am in Canada & we have 110V like you ;) Seasonics have either have a 110/220 sw or Active PFC which switches acutomatically for any AC voltage. Check with the resellers on this list: http://www.seasonicpower.com. They all use 80mm fans (probably the same one) -- details of the fan in the Bbox PC article.

2) Yes, the CPU is a bit further back, but still will be very close to the CPU and should effect a decent amouint of cooling.

3) 60W is probably NOT too little, but more gives you a bigger safety margin. I measured only ~25W DC max draw on the PSU from the components (37W AC draw).

Hebrews126

Post by Hebrews126 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:06 pm

i'm pretty sure it's an Adda fan on the SS-200SFD. How about trying the PS2 size Fortron with a similar horizontal fan placement (P300XFPN)?