Antec & Panaflo

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Antec & Panaflo

Post by rpc180 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:34 pm

Hey everyone,

I've got a single fan Antec PS (PP-303XP) 300W, I looked inside and the fan that it has is plugged into a fan header. Checking online it resembles a relabled Enermax Thermo Controlled fan (#B011388 is stamped on the label). Its rated at:

Application 12 Volts
Amp 0.23A 3 Watts
Fan Size 80x80x25 mm

Rated Voltage (V) 12 Volts
Noise Level(dBA) 18-34 dBA
Air Volume (CFM) 18/21/26/31CFM

I was thinking of replacing it with a Panaflo L, since its not one of those PSUs that are marketed as "quiet" (Seasonic, Zalman, Nexus, etc... and I don't have the cash to drop on it), would this be a viable solution or would I be dangerously close to killing my PSU with heat?

Thanks!

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:58 pm

well if its not enough airflow then you could always try a panflo 80 M1A.

Jonestown

Post by Jonestown » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:41 pm

I have the almost exact same psu (Antec PP303X).

I replaced the noisy fan in the Antec PSU with a Panaflo L1A and have been running for roughly 5 months with no problems at all. I had to run the Panaflo tail outside the PSU and use a 3 to 4 pin adapter to get it some juice.

The only thing I would like to do is run the Panaflo at 7 volts to further reduce the noise.

Jonestown.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:47 pm

IMO, for us silentpc'ers to safely undervolt the fans on PSU's that weren't design to take the heat buildup we'll need to start ducting our PSU's. Some of us already do it for our CPU's and I think the PSU deserves equal, if not more thermal-TLC. :lol:

blakerwry

Post by blakerwry » Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:45 pm

I'd just do what a previous poster mentioned.. get a 3 pin fan and run the tails out of the PSU to the mobo.. i have seen another person do this to their PP-303X..

My PP303X ran at 1800-2200RPMs without a sweat... i would think that 1500-2000 would be a smarter range... any fan within that range should run fine.

al bundy

Why not just drop in a Panaflo at 5V?

Post by al bundy » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:14 am

What do y'all think of just replacing the fan in that Antec 300W supply with a drop-in Panaflo FBA08A12L, tail running outside the PSU to an internal 4-pin molex connector, and operating at 5V?

In Mike's article "Run a Power Supply Without a Fan?" he says:
"A Panaflo FBA08A12L 80mm fan at 5V probably provides ample cooling for most PSUs in most cases. At 5V, it is inaudible except from within one foot. This fan is rated for 21 dBA and 24 cfm at 12 VDC. At 5V, I would guess the airflow is down to 12 cfm or less, and the noise is below 10 dBA."
Wouldn't this be a worthwhile idea then? :?

seishino

Post by seishino » Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:57 am

My 380W Antec Sonata PSU (It's up now! Yay!) is thermally controlling an L1A without ever spinning above 5v equivalent. But, I am running a cool system and it's 5 degrees outside. Whether or not your powersupply will work with a low-flo fan is entirely dependent upon the temperature of the air it takes in, rather than the volume of the air it expells. If your case runs hot, the temperatures in your PSU may run hot as well. Try putting some thermometer probes inside your PSU, and see if it is within Antec's specifications.

blakerwry

Post by blakerwry » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:54 am

seishino wrote:My 380W Antec Sonata PSU (It's up now! Yay!) is thermally controlling an L1A without ever spinning above 5v equivalent. But, I am running a cool system and it's 5 degrees outside. Whether or not your powersupply will work with a low-flo fan is entirely dependent upon the temperature of the air it takes in, rather than the volume of the air it expells. If your case runs hot, the temperatures in your PSU may run hot as well. Try putting some thermometer probes inside your PSU, and see if it is within Antec's specifications.
I agree that your case temps and internal components will play a alrge part in this... if your case has poor cooling, run the L1 @ ~2000RPM's... if it already runs cool or has good cooling run it at 5v or 7v.... or you could just compromise with 7v.... personally, I think 5v on an L1 might be too slow...

Jonestown

Post by Jonestown » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:39 am

As an update to an earlier post I made here, I'm running all fans (L1A on a SK-7/XP 1600, L1A case fan, and the L1A in the Antec PSU) at 7volts now just to test noise. My case temps have remained fairly constant at 26-28 degrees Celcius. The CPU is at 52C idle and 54-55C after playing 10-15 minutes of MOHAA. The CPU temps were roughly 7-8C cooler with the L1A at 12 volts.

Even at 7 volts, my case temps were pretty much where they were with the L1A's at 12 volts, but with the benefit of a MUCH quieter system.

Jonestown

Rilke

Post by Rilke » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:45 pm

I've been reading this thread with some interest. I'm thinking of undervolting the replacement Panaflo L1A fan I stuck in my Antec SmartPower 300 to 7 volts, but I'm deathly afraid I'll fry the thing if there's not enough air going through to cool it.

I currently have it hooked up to the old fan header in the PSU, and it appears to work well. The only problem is that because I have a smaller case (Antec SLK2600), my case temps are a little high(~31c), so the fan speed goes beyond where I'd like it to in order to compensate for the heat. It doesn't sound like it's going at the full 12v, but I know the voltage is greater than 7v because I have another exhaust fan that does and it's definitely louder than that one.

Has anyone one else done this before, or is this a bad idea?

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:25 am

I originally replaced the fan in the rear of the Antec PSU with a single L1A fan plugged into the PSU fan headers, the case was incredibly silent, but airflow was dead, as it was the only exhast in my system. CPU temps were up 4 degrees, nearing 60 when playing a FPS in under an hour.

I went downstairs and pulled my dad's Antec PSU (PP352X, old model of the SL-350) which has 2 fans, Enermax 92/80mm. I replaced those with the L1a's (used 1 screw and a twist tie to hold down the other side of the fan in the 92 hole) and wired it into the headers ... These came really loud due to the airflow obstructions. In contrast, I have 2 other L1as in the system, both on a zalman fan bracket, one is over the CPU and the other is over the GPU. I tested noise through my fanbus, at the same voltage, the fans in the PSU are always louder by a good margin (don't have a meter), in both loudness and pitch.

My theory on airflow inside a PSU is that forced air cooling may do approximately 2-3 degrees better at best in a system that is meant to be silent ... while simply expelling the hot air (instead of trying to cool heatsinks) would be sufficient to maintain stability.

With this in mind (I could be seroiusly wrong cause I don't have temp monitoring equiptment), I wired the PSU fans out to my front fanbus. The second fan adds some additional pressure to pull air through the case while directing air at the PSU PCB. I had tried to use the PSU with only 1 fan, the "lower" one, figuring that if it was closer to the inside of the case, it may create pressure I was looking for while the case would simply exhast passively. The PSU top became somewhat hot to the touch. So I abandoned that idea.

I keep them at somewhere between 5-7V (its got pots, but I don't know the exact voltage) where they are silent now on idle. Its a slight breeze, roughly enough to push a tissue. CPU idling (web surfing, DVD watching) is at 45 degrees at worse. CPU max at 4:45am, when I have a virus scanner run, pushes the temp to 54 degrees. But when I want to play a FPS, I turn the fans up to 12V for maximum system exhast. The system, while no longer quiet but it doesn't matter with games, hasn't gone past 48 degrees.

So, instead of going for lowest cooling in all situations, I figured a trade off was in order. I stuck with keeping CPU temps at 42-44 degrees with low processes and around 49 degrees with max fans, the only time it goes above is when I'm asleep and its doing a virus scan at night around 4:45 and I'm not around to turn the fans on. But since its only for 20 minutes max, I think its fine.

Its been going strong now for about 2 weeks, basically 24/7. The exhast air, while not cold like it was down at my dad's comp (that thing's got 8 fans inc the Northbridge, etc...) is like room heater warm. System is stable, haven't had to restart once due to it.