Silverstone Element 500 - new silent/efficiency king?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:13 pm

I would just like to add that my enhance enp-5150gh came with an adda medium speed fan, model ad1212mb-a71gl. None of the cables are sleeved like the silverstone, but it only cost $67. I believe the enp-5140gh (400w) is about $10 less. As my system is watercooled, fan ramp up is not a problem. It's very quiet and is an excellent value considering the 80+ certification and favorable reviews.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:39 pm

winguy wrote:
jaganath wrote:The 430 has bigger heatsinks, so it doesn't follow that it will be noisier just because the 330 is.
I was actually referring to the minimum noise before the fan ramps up. :)

Unless there's reason for Seasonic to implement a lower minimum voltage for S12-430 's fan controller?
The S12's fan controller is temperature dependent but not linear, the larger heatsinks of the 430 will mean a lower average temp, so yes effectively there is a lower minimum fan voltage (and thus speed) for the 430 compared to the 330.

kaange

Post by kaange » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:57 pm

hulubei wrote:To note some other thing, probably almost half of the noise it makes is by the buzzling or whine or whatever is called. I'll try to get some more load un 5v line to see what it happens.
Back to the Silverstone....

Odd. Mine has coil whine when the PC is off but once powered up, the only noise is from the fan. When I upgrade my PC (soon, I hope), I'll test the fan starting voltage and try my diode voltage drop idea too.

Greg

Edit: I found the diode idea being used in the fan controller sticky so it should be a goer :D