Fortron 180W MicroATX PSU buzzing

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Tore

Fortron 180W MicroATX PSU buzzing

Post by Tore » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:12 pm

Hi! I'm making a microATX computer, but discovered that the PSU makes a horrible buzzing even with no fan running.

The PSU has +12V 10A compared to only +12V 4.5A for the 150W version, so I think it's clear that the 180 W is ment for P4. It also has the extra 12V plug for the motherboard.

When plugging it to a PSU tester Image
the buzzing is weak. When connecting to the motherboard with a 2GHz P4 Northwood, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB Barracuda and a DVD drive, the buzzing becomes strong, even when the system is idle. The motherboard is AOpen MX4GR. The buzzing consist at least to some degree of vibration, but even when lifting the PSU in my hands, the buzzing is strong. The humming is low pitched.

The PSU is beyond return, because I was well into the moding when I discovered it (only testing it with the PSU tester before starting, and not stopping the fan when I did it). :(

Does this sound like coil noise? Is it likely to be a one of a kind problem (i.e. would it be likely to disappear if I buy another one)? The PSU is not very efficient (minimum 60% at full load it says), but there isn't that many microATX power supplies to pick from. If anybody have a recommendation, I'm all ears.

Any thoughts are welcome!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:34 pm

Yup that sounds like coil buzzing to me. I have a pile of buzzy PSUs in my lab that I am not sure what to do with yet :roll: Buzzing is usually load dependent and sometimes interactive with VGA/AGP?? Weird effects scrolling pages with some buzzy PSUs.

I've had good luck with Seasonic PSUs in general for low or no buzzing. I used one of their microATX psu for the Breadbox PC w/o modification, and it was very quiet. No buzziness to speak of in that one.

Doomer

Post by Doomer » Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:15 am

I have similar experiences with a Fortron 350W PSU. Fan was VERY noisy, it made whining sound when on and even when the computer was off there was buzzing sound. When I put my ear next to it, it sounded like couple of stakes frying on pan.

BTW, when the standby power is on and listening closely next to the PSU, Fortron, Antec Truepower and Q-Technology 300W have all made buzzing sound. The only one which was totally quiet was HEC. I wonder what can cause it?

d_kay

Post by d_kay » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:58 pm

Isn't it time to write an article on this subject alone? coil buzzing I mean..

Which PSU 's to avoid and such. Perhaps it's a matter of consistent manufacturing quality, some buzz and some don't?.

Hebrews126

Post by Hebrews126 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:40 pm

Power-On.com has the SS-180SFD with Active PFC. The PSU uses an advanced IC with very limited coil whine noise.

shunx

Post by shunx » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:10 am

d_kay wrote:Isn't it time to write an article on this subject alone? coil buzzing I mean..

Which PSU 's to avoid and such. Perhaps it's a matter of consistent manufacturing quality, some buzz and some don't?.
I second that. A coil buzz article would be nice.