Nexus PSU and Case Temperature

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

korsch

Nexus PSU and Case Temperature

Post by korsch » Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:07 am

I just added a second hard drive (Barracuda V 8mb cache) and my case temperature shot up quite significantly. This may be fairly normal but there are a couple things that seem unusual to me.

First, I had a second hard drive running before (different drive - IBM 60GXP) and my case temperature didn't increase much at all. Second, as the temperature has shot up, I've noticed the air exhausted from my Nexus PSU is much warmer than before, but the air exhausted from my outake fan nearby seems as cool-ish as ever.

My question (possibly a dumb one): is my temperature increase ONLY due to the heat produced by the new drive, or can the PSU under increased load actually generate heat of its own?

PS - the Nexus sure is quiet but it has really increased my case temperature.

korsch

Post by korsch » Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:27 pm

Thanks for the info.

It seems that my motherboard temperatures have increased by 3C+ since introducing the second Cuda. This is based on temps I scratched down a few days ago and are are not completely reliable, so I will report back again after I disconnect the second Barracuda and re-check.

Unfortunately, I seem to have one of the ASUS P4PE boards which reads temps 8-10C too high (ASUS Boards forums have discussed this at length). Based on these too-high readings, I was getting 47C cpu and 34C mboard temperatures at idle before adding the drive, and now I get 50C and 37-8C.

Maybe I did something else to affect temperatures, but I can't think of anything. I'll re-check my single-drive readings soon. Again, what seemed strangest to me is that the air from my exhaust fan does not seem warmer but the air coming out of the PSU does. I'll re-check this too.