Phantom 500 loud whine

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

rm19

Phantom 500 loud whine

Post by rm19 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:12 pm

I just bought an Antec Phantom 500 from Newegg with an Antec Fusion case and some other stuff. Put it all together and I am greeted with an ultra loud high pitched whine from the PS. So I sit there stunned for a minute thinking of what the RMA process is like and shut it down. I boot it up again and the noise is gone. The loud annoying whine comes back three more times with various reboots, sometimes changing in pitch, but now appears to be gone.

Do you guys think I am in the clear if it's silent for the next few days, or should I just return it now? Is this normal for the break-in?

rm19

Post by rm19 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:53 pm

UPDATE: The loud, high-pitched whine kept coming back and seemed to change tone as I moved windows around on the screen with the mouse. It was loud enough that when I shut the PC down, I could hear a slight ringing in my ears. I got an RMA from Newegg so i guess I'll just use my Antec Neo 550 which is pretty quiet anyways.

NeoNSX

Post by NeoNSX » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:51 pm

I have a Phantom 500W, and read about some users experiencing a high pitched whine as you describe. However, I still bought it. :) I haven't experienced any whining at all; not that that helps you.

Hopefully your new PSU will be flawless because its truly a great PSU.

rm19

Post by rm19 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:41 pm

It was the perfect PSU during the times it wasn't emitting that whine so it's too bad I got a lemon. I installed my Neo 550 in and it is nearly as quiet, probably because the stock case fans are still louder. Can't wait for my Nexus fans to come in.