New Silenx specs info...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Herb W.

New Silenx specs info...

Post by Herb W. » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:36 pm

The raves about the low noise levels of the Silenx PSUs in this forum led me to ask ExoticPC for further specs to supplement the very limited info on their 400W unit found on their Web site. I got the following reply from Peter about the 14 dba model:

Here are the specs on the SilenX 14 dBA 400 watt PSU:

3.3V - 28.0A
5.0V - 40.0A
12.0V - 18.0A

Max 3.3V + 5.0V = 235W

When I pointed out the discrepancy between these figures and those posted on the ExoticPC web site for this model, which specify 15A on the 12v rail, he replied:

The content on our site is the older information based on a different power supply we were using. The older PSU we used was for the 18 dBA model based on a Fortron mod, but we have reached an OEM basis deal with Fortron for them to manufacture PSUs to our specs. The new one is capable of providing 18A sustained and apprx 20A peak.

That is very good news for those of us wanting or needing more than 15A on the +12v rail, where the new 3G P4 and the latest HD arrays (Barracuda 7200.7: 2.8 A apiece max) really use the juice... finally, a truly quiet high-output PSU! It's time for MikeC to do his thorough job putting this baby through its paces :wink: .....

1HandClapping

Re: New Silenx specs info...

Post by 1HandClapping » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:51 pm

Herb W. wrote:It's time for MikeC to do his thorough job putting this baby through its paces :wink: .....
Maybe a few of us should write Exotic and tell them that SPCR is the most respected forum for reviewing quiet PC's, and they should send Mike a loaner. An offical "Recommended" from Mike will probably result in many immediate sales.

DaShiv

Post by DaShiv » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:40 pm

What are the actual specs on the 14dBA 300W and 350W models? They look a bit on the skimpy side according to the website, but if they have changed then an update would be nice. My Nexus currently has 15A on the +12V rail and I can't see myself going any lower than that (certainly not down to the 11A of the current specs), and the 400W model is a bit pricy...

Good luck with your foray into this market with your SilenX brand! It does look very promising.

DaShiv

Post by DaShiv » Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:46 pm

Thanks--looking forward to the reviews.

Que

Post by Que » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:27 pm

wow, i'm glad i waiting a little bit to build my pc. I'll just have to wait that bit longer to read the review. Thanks for stopping by the forums, though, exoticpc. It's appreciated :)

shunx

Post by shunx » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:58 am

If there was a Canadian reseller, I'd buy one.

Edit: I see that the store ships to Canada, which is nice. Resellers are still nice though.

efcoins
Friend of SPCR

Post by efcoins » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:12 am

exoticpc I take it that the PSUs are nt available in Europe (UK)

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:50 am

[Hey, my first post here! Hi everyone :D ]

To ExoticPC,

I am about to order one of your 14dbA 400W power supplies.

Do you recommend that the user choose the more expensive air delivery method, instead of the (less expensive) standard UPS railroad/truck delivery method, for this power supply?

My concern is about the increased possibility of damage caused by the greater bumps, shocks and vibrations that the power supply would experience during the longer and more rough ground delivery. Is this concern valid, or should we feel perfectly confident choosing the ground delivery option?

Please reply ExoticPC (and anyone else who can enlighten on this matter) - Thanks!

8)

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:10 pm

exoticpc wrote:Hi Al,

Out of the 1200 SilenX PSUs we've shipped out by UPS Ground, we haven't had a single return due to shipping damage (or any other reason for that matter). I think I can say with confidence that UPS Ground will not destroy the power supply before it gets to you!
Thank you for the very fast reply! I really appreciate it. :D

I'm actually not so worried that the UPS Ground shipping would in fact destroy the power supply...

instead, I'm wondering if it is at all possible that the ground shipping method could in any way cause internal parts to perhaps loosen, or possibly trigger coil whine problems, or conceivably cause even minor damage to the power supply electronics or its very quiet mechanical operation.

What do you think ExoticPC? Is there any reason at all to be concerned about this, or should we feel perfectly confident in choosing the (much more affordable) UPS Ground shipping without any worries?

8)

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:27 pm

Quick question about the SilenX PSU - does it have a socketed fuse, or a soldered fuse?

I just blew the fuse on my SeaSonic ('user error' :oops: ), and had to de-solder the current fuse. I then found that getting solder to 'adhere' to a new fuse is not the easiest of things (I've been soldering, on and off, for over 30 years!). I had to remove the circuit board from the case to get at it, and probably messed up something in the process, because when I re-assembled it the fuse immediately blew again! So I currently refuse to mess with it anymore and am looking for another model.

I also have the Zalman, and it's been great - I wired a 22 ohm resistor in series with the fan (Per Mike C) and it's quiet. But if SilenX is quieter, and doesn't require a mod, then I guess I gotta have it! I'm interested in the 300 Watt, quietest model.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:12 pm

Thanks for the info. So I'll need to pay $89 instead of $69 to get a socket fuse. Presumably noise levels are identical (same fan/same profile?) I don't need more than 150 Watts for my system, probably, but don't mind buying more if I don't pay with noise!

Was good talking to you on the phone (hey, these guys are 'local' and can actually answer questions about their products...!)

You mentioned on the phone that this PSU uses a fan that is designed by you guys / to your specification. I looked at the 'fans' section of your site, but only saw what looked like 'stock' fans. Are you not selling the magic fans that are used inside these PSUs? If so, can you give me a url?

Thanks! Chris.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:18 pm

We have conducted shock tests on the power supply and to this day, we haven't had any issues with parts getting loose. As far as coil whine problems are concerned, the 400w version utilizes active PFC, basically there isn't any coil noise to begin with. Noise level hasn't changed from all the testing we have done unless the damage was serious enough to bend the metal casing and affect the fan placement (we have totally destroyed power supplies before for the sake of testing). I haven't heard any other noise related problems due to shipping before for any other power supply for that matter, I think it's safe to assume that Ground shipping will not affect the noise level of the PSU upon receipt.
OK, that is great to hear - I won't worry about it then! :D

One last inquiry please ExoticPC?

I see that your 14dbA power supplies are available in 300W, 350W, and 400W versions. Are all three of these 14dbA versions equally silent? Do all three use identical temperature control circuitry and fan model?

8)

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:26 pm

As far as that question is concerned, it's a matter of how much load you put on the power supply. If you were putting 300w load on the SilenX 300w version, you would be getting around 14 dBA at 1m. If you were putting that same load on the 400w SilenX, you would be getting something around 10 dBA at 1m. The fan speed controller was designed to take into account the maximum heat tolerance for all three power supplies and guarantee enough airflow to support those temperatures. We've done exhaustive testing to ensure that our PSUs will work to its specs, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the noise levels from our SilenX power supply :)
That's excellent news! Thank you very much ExoticPC for your products and your helpfulness. I will definitely order from you. :D

[By the way, as I'm sure you know, you sure are generating really positive customer feeling and loyalty with your outstanding service!]

8)

Bat

Post by Bat » Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:54 pm

This is sounding as though it's probably the best option at present (though I'm still curious about that alleged <12dB(A) PSU I mentioned here a while back).

I wonder if efcoins and perhaps a few others might be interested in sharing costs of shipping a few Silenx PSUs to the U.K. (with some of these new quiet fans, perhaps).

efcoins
Friend of SPCR

Post by efcoins » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:29 am

I wonder if efcoins and perhaps a few others might be interested in sharing costs of shipping a few Silenx PSUs to the U.K. (with some of these new quiet fans, perhaps).[/quote]

If the price is right. They are quite heavy though, the Nexus will probably be a better buy.

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:57 pm

Ordered a Silenx 400 watt unit yesterday, the first part for a new build. These last few weeks have been good times for those like myself who have been looking to assemble a state-of-the-art rig that run near-silent... Just combine a Silenx PSU, a Sapphire Pro Ultimate 9700 (it includes both the Zalman 80A passive cooler and RAM heat sinks), toss in the new and impressive Zalman 7000-CU radial cooler, and drop the voltages on your case fans. Can't wait to put my way-too-loud Dell out of its misery - anybody got a shotgun?

crg

Post by crg » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:50 pm

Herb, I am curious as to what model/specs you have for a Dell. Will the Silenx work with your Dell as some have Proprietary psu wiring (I have the 4550/3.06 and mine does not).

Also do you have the stock Dell green cpu/case fan ducting and if so, how are you going to replace it when you put the Zalman 7000 in. I assume you will just get rid of it completly. Also will you keep the stock Dell case fan?

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:34 pm

crg, I don't plan to do anything with the old Dell - will be keeping it as a backup system and occasional game server. It's an XBR1000r 1G PIII with a black heat duct for the CPU fan and no other case fan. While Dell told me I could not substitute a different PSU into this box, QuietPC.com does sell a wiring adapter that allows you to do so. I don't know whether it's applicable to your model though.