I was thinking of replacing my X1800XL for an X1950 XT (256) or X1950 XTX (512).
I have a Seasonic S12-500 right now with an overclocked C2D at 1.3125V and Ram at 2.1V. Do you think sticking a X1950 XT or X1950 XTX or CF X1950 Pro would be okay?
Either one of those 3 Setups. Which one would you suggest?
X1950 XT: $300
X1950 XTX: $500
X1950 Pro CF: $420
You should be able to do SLI with those cards even on a 500W Seasonic. And if you're spending that much money, just go buy a 8800GTS now....very quiet heatsink/fan, way more powerful and $450.
I think a simple formula is this: Good 300W = ANY single card system. Good 400W = Most SLI systems, Good 500W = All single cpu SLI systems. Key word being a good psu with a proper amount of 12v load. Of course this assumes no crazy power needs such as Peltiers or whatnot. I'd probably bump any system using the 8800 series up one notch.
Well for one thing lets not forget those are in Canadian Prices. So if the 8800GTS is $450 US that means it's well over $500. If that's the case then the XTX will probably go down in price with accordance to Price/Performance right? I also read that the 8800 sucks only a tiny bit more Watts than the XTX. And overall I doubt it's quiet. I don't believe I'll ever hear a quiet stock fan, they always need to be replaced. Whether I decide to put a CPU Heatsink on it or an Arctic Cooling.
Personally I'm an ATi fanboy as of this summer lol. And I rather stick to ATi. I'm sure once the 8800s come out the X1900 prices will drop again. I'm kind of leaning on the X1950 XT but I'm not sure how much of a difference will the lesser of 256MB ram will make. But for an extra $100 I could have CF X1950Pro which just looks cooler lol. Still deciding.
I did get my X1800XL at a good price, $220 CND. Although I'm not sure exactly if an X1950Pro would be much of an upgrade to it.