replace my enermax ep365

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

way2slo

replace my enermax ep365

Post by way2slo » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:22 pm

i found a buyer for my enermax psu, i m willing to spend around $100cdn for a new psu, any suggestion? i found a zalman 300w in town for $105 which is within my budget. btw i m not looking for a super quiet psu cost me $$$$ but something better than the enermax without modding. the enermax is good for start up(fan running at 1,200rpm). as it heats up, fan runs at 1,600rpm, terrible noise.
thanks

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:59 pm

That's a fine choice considering its price. If you're willing to spend more for a bit more quiet you can get a Nexus NX-3000 from http://www.quietpc.ca for $128. It works out to about the same cost as http://www.siliconacoustics.com when you factor in brokerage & shipping.

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:33 pm

thanks for the quick reply, i m going to pick up a zalman 300w.
one more question, i have 2 segate hd, crdrom and dvd-r, 2 vantec case fan, is 300w psu enough for my machine? or i better go for 350w?
thanks for all.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:45 pm

The 300 watt PSU shouldn't be a problem at all. You're P4-2.0A is not too bad on power consumption IIRC.

BTW - it will help if you list your specs in your signature. That way, people won't have to get that info from you everytime (or fish around in other postings for that info like I had to)

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:58 pm

thanks a lot man
appreciated 8)

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:49 pm

just bought the zalman zm300a-apf, guess what? it is same as the enermax 365, i am disappointed. would it be a defective psu? i place a sponge over the exhaust fan, the noise goes away. it sounds like wind noise not bearing noise. it start up all the way to now for 3 hrs, same noise level. i would say it is worse than the enermax. or i have bad luck? :cry:
if it aint broke, dont fix it!
if it aint broke, fix it till it is!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:59 pm

While the Zalman is far from the quietest, it should be much quieter than any Enermax. Are you sure the noise source is the PSU?

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:03 am

thanks for the quick reply Mike
yes, i stop the psu fan with a small screwdriver or place my hand on top of the exhaust port, the noise goes away.
it doesnt sound like a bearing noise, more like high pressure wind noise.
another thing, the i monitor the voltage with the asus pc probe, the 12v and 3.3 drop a little bit every 0-20sec, not very much i would say 2 %, but it never happened on my enermax. i also do another test, remove one side cover, guess what? the noise is getting less. i cant figure it out.
i swear to god, it is louder than my enermax.
Last edited by way2slo on Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:17 am

Yikes! Is the exhaust air cool? Better yet, can you get a reading of the fan's rpm and the temp of the exhaust air?

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:22 am

the exhaust air is luke warm, u might think the psu is running too hot and the fan spinning full load. i have the same noise level on starting up bone cold(i just installed it after work)
i cannot check the rpm, coz it does not have a fan sensing wire.

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:41 am

i think i m going to sleep. it may work tomorrow :roll:
here is my spec
P4 2.0A
Asus P4B533 mobo
Matrox G550 dualhead
40 & 80 seagate ata 100 HD
Adapter fireware
CD and DVD rewrite
Echo Gina 24 audio card
Intel stock HS and fan running at 1,400rpm with fan mate(quiet)
2 vantec stealth 80mm running at 5v(quiet)
Zalman zm300a-apf(noisy as hell at idle) or just me?
Idle cpu temp 39c mobo 34c
thanks guys for any comment.

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:23 am

first thing in the morning, start up the machine, same kind of noise. it does not change at all on cold starting. as soon as a put my hard on top of the exhaust outlet(no even cover the fan completely), the noise goes away.
so i hook up my recording mic and capture the sound.
before
after i put my hand on the exhaust port
again this noise sounds like high pressure wind noise, sure the bearing is nice and quiet, i disable all fans inc HS fan, the only noise is coming from the psu.
hope someone can help me out, worst come to worst, i will take it back to where it is sold and have them check it today.
bad luck :?

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:18 pm

i just talked to the store i bought the zalman psu, they said the noise could be coming from vibration, is it possible a bad case? i didnt have this noise on my enermax. but why did the noise go away when i place my hand on the exhaust port(no even touch the case)? sure it made my day :cry:
thanks for the input :wink:

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:55 pm

way2slo wrote:first thing in the morning, start up the machine, same kind of noise. it does not change at all on cold starting. as soon as a put my hard on top of the exhaust outlet(no even cover the fan completely), the noise goes away.
so i hook up my recording mic and capture the sound.
before
after i put my hand on the exhaust port
again this noise sounds like high pressure wind noise, sure the bearing is nice and quiet, i disable all fans inc HS fan, the only noise is coming from the psu.
hope someone can help me out, worst come to worst, i will take it back to where it is sold and have them check it today.
bad luck :?
I think you have a good enough case to get it replaced. Your experience seems to contradict with MikeC's review of the Zalman. I think you can convince them if you explain to them the difference between your experience and Mike's review.

EDIT: if you have a multimeter w/probes, try to get a voltage reading from the fan. Then you can directly compare with the measurements that Mike took.

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:39 pm

thanks man
i bought the zalman psu becoz i read mike's review, i do trust his judgement :)
anyways i will have one replaced today.
keep u updated.

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:20 pm

Thanks very much for everyone taking time to help me. I found the problem. I exchange another unit after work, installed it, same problem. I put my pc in my desk and have a door closed, what happened is, when I open the desk door, the noise goes away, as soon as I close it, the noise comes right back. I think when I close the door, somehow it creates air pressure. Now it is not silent but I am really happy with the noise level. I just simply remove the desk door and it works! I never had that kind of noise with enermax so I wonder if the noise is from the zalman defective psu. Anyways, thanks very much.
Happy camper :lol:

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:35 pm

Ah, I see. The Zalman thermal circuit must be more sensitive to heat build up than the Tt PSU. When you close the door either a) it becomes starved for fresh outside air and/or b) the heat builds up behind the case and overflows back into the PSU.

Which brings up the question. Did you read this thread? http://forums.silentpcreview.com//viewtopic.php?t=3355

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:28 pm

interesting thread :o
this is just like how ppl treat the recording studio with studio foam. i m going to Long & Mcquade tomorrow pick up the acoustic form, i know they have the 4x8 sheet for about $40, not too bad. try to make my home studio a bit deader.
btw my pc is now running cooler with the desk door removed, now idle cpu 35c mobo 32(with the front lid close cpu 39c mobo 36 mobo)
nice and quiet.
thanks for all ur help, and of coz Mike C
this is a great forum. 8)