silent Uninteruptable power supply?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

jaldridge6

silent Uninteruptable power supply?

Post by jaldridge6 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:48 pm

can anyone recommend one? I'm moving soon and ill be on solar power for the most part. the thing is the power from the wall can sometime spike so i'll need a reliable UPS. my computer is already dead silent and I dont want to nullify all the work ive done on that with a loud UPS... so, i need a solid recommendation. Ill have a 90 watt LCD plugged in and my computer draws 100 watts idle and close to 200 at load.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:20 am

Unless it's a manufacturing fault, I don't think an UPS should make any noise at all. Low-quality ones might buzz or whine, granted, but you get what you pay for -- unless you got ripped off. :D

Anyway, I've been using a PowerWare 3110 for years. Sure, it's big, only has those PC sockets and doesn't sport looks or modern features like USB control, but it does its job. And quietly. The only time I hear it is when it beeps after a spike or power loss, or when the batteries are starting to go. It's no longer for sale, but the follow-up model shouldn't be too bad I'd imagine -- and mind you, this is the cheapest bulk model that PowerWare offered.

I've also been pleased with what APC has offered me in surge-protected extension cords. Sturdy, reliable and lasted for years. We had some of their server UPS units at work and they seemed okay, just more gimmicks than the PowerWare plastic bricks. :lol:

I heartily recommend PowerWare and wouldn't mind using APC. Choose one with a long-time retailer in your area to guarantee flexible service and model availability.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:43 am

APC XS900 fan is always on..and is noticable in the background. Otherwise, it's great.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:31 am

Home UPS with a fan?! Madness!

Unless you absolutely need the heavy-duty performance, the fanless models will do just fine.

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:50 pm

I dont plan on getting one with a fan. I want one that doesn't BUZZZZZZZ [or whine]... I may just go to frys and buy like 3 of them and pick whichever one is quietest. I'm moving in like 8 days so I need to know soon!! I dont wanna be stuck with a buzzy supply out in the middle of nowhere.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:52 pm

My APC BackUPS 350VA doesn't make any noise during normal use, but when it switches to battery power it does buzz slightly. Nothing very intrusive -- I have to get down on the floor next to the UPS to hear it.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:21 pm

be sure to get one with a battery module you can later swap out. they only last 3 yrs or so...