Cable management & non-modular PSU's (i.e. Seasonic 550

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

echn111

Cable management & non-modular PSU's (i.e. Seasonic 550

Post by echn111 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:41 am

I just bought and installed my first powersupply, the Seasonic 550 Energy+. The Seasonic replaces a modular PSU that was installed by a professional system builder rather than myself.

I am pleased with the low noise from this PSU.

However, the cable management inside my case (an Antec p180) is a bit of a mess. My first (recent) attempt at watercooling was successful, but means that I have watertubes all over. The extra cables from my new PSU make this worse.

What do most people do with all the extra cables? (or just shove them aside somewhere...)

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:19 pm

All the cables that aren't in use, I bundled together and I hid them above the PSU. Maybe not stylish but it doesn't get in the way and I can always use them if needed.

[F]bernZ

Post by [F]bernZ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:22 am

I personally find it extremely easy to bundle everything together [like, leave it in the original bundle that the manufacturers ship the PSU to you in] and just yank the ones you need, out.

This way, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a bundle you won't use and can stash behind the motherboard tray. Then, you can focus on snaking your cables so that they avoid the air as much as possible while looking awesome.

Cablegami - its an art. :)

echn111

Post by echn111 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:56 am

Thanks. Guess I'll just have to be a bit more organized. Too bad there isn't a safe way of chopping off all those extra cables and capping them.

Think I'll try one of the quiet modular PSU's next time around.