Fortron P300-60ATV

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

mrporkypig

Fortron P300-60ATV

Post by mrporkypig » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:20 pm

I just got it recently and it's a little noisy. The stock fan is Adda AD0812HB-A70G (34dB 3000RPM 38cfm). Is it ok to run it at 5V? Will it be stable? especially that summer is coming soon. thanks.

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:35 pm

My Fortron/Sparkle ATX300-GT applies as little as 5.3V to its temperature controlled fan, but I've read that some fans won't start with less than 6V. So some fan controllers apply the full 12V during the first couple of seconds after power-on to get the fan spinning. They do this with a 1uF to 20uF capacitor connected across one of the resistors that sets the output voltage. You could modify a linear fan controller for this, and if you don't want temperature control, replace the thermistor with a resistor.

mrporkypig

Post by mrporkypig » Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:15 am

I have just soldered the fan to the 5V on the circuit board. So i don't have anything connected to the fan control. Is it bad to do this?

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:57 am

mrporkypig wrote:I have just soldered the fan to the 5V on the circuit board. So i don't have anything connected to the fan control. Is it bad to do this?
No - I removed the fan control pcb completely (after desoldering the 12V and earth lines connected to it) - maybe improved my airflow a tad?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:11 am

Just be aware that you do shorten the lifespan of most PSUs when you drastically reduce airflow. I killed a couple in 12-24 months with 5V panaflo mods. (Not the same as a swap for a slower/ quieter fan with thermistor control intact: at least this does increase fan speed / airflow when PSU gets hotter)

Kawboy

Post by Kawboy » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:38 pm

MikeC- did you periodically blow the dust off of the heatsink, or was it simply the added heat from an "uninsulated" heatsink with a slow fan attached?

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:11 pm

MikeC wrote:I killed a couple in 12-24 months with 5V panaflo mods.
You mean psu can last longer than 12 months? :? For one reason or another mine get upgraded more often than that :wink:

Although valid point - the first question should have been, what are your ambient temps? (In particular the air entering the psu.) If these are getting close to or above 30C then I would be more careful about reducing the airflow. My logic (paraphrased from another thread) is:
Lets assume your components are actually using 200W (extremely unlikely, should be closer to 100W). And the psu is 65% efficient. Then you have 108W of heat being dissipated inside the psu. With 16cfm flowing through the psu you can expect a 12C temp rise.
{ deltaC = (1.76 * W) / cfm } All else being equal, this is fine. (The stuff that is not equal is the actual airflow inside the psu case, static pressure etc. Even so, even a 25 or 30C rise could be OK depending on the ambient you start with.)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:41 pm

Kawboy wrote:MikeC- did you periodically blow the dust off of the heatsink, or was it simply the added heat from an "uninsulated" heatsink with a slow fan attached?
For whatever reason, the PSUs don't get very dusty. One was an Enermax 365 with a fixed speed 5V Panaflo. For a long time I just left the 92mm hole open, which probably meant very little heat was actually blowing across the HS. Later, I closed up the bottom, but I think it was already cooking well by then.

Another was 2-fan SH (Super Power) 350, this time with the bottom hole closed, same 5V Panaflo. It started whining a ew weeks before i pulled it, and then it died on a small load test.

On the positive side, I have been running at least one Seasonic with a Panaflo L1A swap for nearly a year and it remains perfectly stable.

Kawboy

Post by Kawboy » Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:41 pm

My desktop rig stays reasonably dustfree (psu guts included, but they do get a light covering), but my wife's tower sits near a hardwood floor and it FILLS with dustbunnies. Hardwood seems to make the dust fly to the edges, and that machine sucks in more dust than a bloody vacuum cleaner! You wouldn't believe the inside of that PSU. The first fan failed I think simply because the dust bound it up.

Doomer

Post by Doomer » Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:44 am

MikeC wrote:Just be aware that you do shorten the lifespan of most PSUs when you drastically reduce airflow. I killed a couple in 12-24 months with 5V panaflo mods. (Not the same as a swap for a slower/ quieter fan with thermistor control intact: at least this does increase fan speed / airflow when PSU gets hotter)
How many hours did you use those PC's with modded PSU's approximately in a week?