Forton and Sparkle the same?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

Forton and Sparkle the same?

Post by IceFire » Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:52 am

What's the different between the two? It looks like the Fortons are made by Sparkle. I'm looking for a 350 + watt PS. Which which one should I get? Quiet is number one concern.

I will be running dual Cel 330 overclock to 550 w/ 2 full height scsi drive, 3 half height scsi drive, SCSI burn, floppy and 2 120 fan in series. The only thing that will be going full time are the harddrives. Will the 350 hold or should I go for something a little more. Video is an old ATI passively cool. There are 40 mm fan on each cpu.

So is the 350 enough and which one? Could I even use the 300 with the 120mm fan on it?

Thanks

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:19 am

Sparkle is made by Fortron Source Power Group, not the other way around.

A good candidate would be FSP350-60PN (PF). This is with a 120mm single fan. Pay close attention to the last numbers/letters in the model number, don't just buy any FSP350 moel. If you get PFN, ATV, BTV or some other model, it does not have same kind of construction and may or may not be equally silent.

See:

http://www.fortron-source.com/images/DM(PC)2003-1.pdf

For Fortron PC power supply models, specifications and images. They are also sold under the AOpen brand using the exact same model numbers.

regards,
Halcyon

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:51 am

The 120mm fan is great, but the availability is pretty low only from newegg.com or xpdirect.com so far as I know.

Now if they would come out with a 400W+ version.

Thanks for the PDF file, very nice. Too bad I didn't find that on the Sparkle website.