Panaflow won't spin when connected to native PSU connector

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Panaflow won't spin when connected to native PSU connector

Post by marc999 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:37 pm

I tried modifying my Q-tech PSU with a low Flow Panaflow fan.

The immediate "barrier" was the termination. My Panaflow has two wires that (for whatever reason) terminate on a 3 hole (female) connector. This 3 hole connector is exactly like the ones used to plug in your HSF/Case Fans into your Motherboard. The native PSU fan is a two wire fan terminating on a two hole (female) connector. Obviously, the PSU has two pins for connecting its fan. Also, these two pins are "polarity protected" like the pins on a HSF MOBO connector (i.e. there is an "L" shaped plastic piece around the pins so that if you rotate the fan's connector 180 degrees it won't connect to the PSUs fan pins).

In Mike's article, "Quieting the Enermax & other thermistor fan PSUs" he stated the same thing happened because the voltage supplied to the Panaflow from the PSU was too low. Is that the same thing that is likely happening to me, or is there something else I'm missing? Maybe something to do with the connectors?

Please note that I made sure that the two holes that I connected from my 3 hole connector of my Panaflow to the two pins on the PSU are the holes with the wires that lead back to the center of the Panaflow fan.

Thanks !!

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:00 pm

Two things could be wrong;
1. You've wired it wrong. Compare the connector on the old fan to the one on the panaflo to make sure that you haven't reversed the positive and negative. It's possible that the two different connectors are wired differently, one may have the positvie on the left, while the other has it on the right. You may be able to tell from looking at the connector on the PSU circuit board which lead is positive one. Do a good thorough double check.

2. The voltage may be too low at start-up. I think this is less likely. Panaflo's generally have fairly low start-up voltages, in the 4v range. Unless the stock fan is very unusual it would start in the ame range. There are a couple of ways to test this: One is to measure the voltage with a multimeter. But since we don't all have those you can also just leave the Panaflo in the PSU, and put it back in the case and fire it up. If the fan hasn't started after the PSU has gotten good and warm-and the thermosistor is at full voltage (say 15 minutes or so) then you've got something wrong somewhere. 15 minutes of fanlesss operation won't hurt the PSU any.

Try those, and if it doesn't solve it write back and we'll think of something else to try.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:29 pm

Rusty075,
Those are both TRULY EXCELLENT suggestions. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to try things out, but I'll let you know when I do !!

Thanks very much !!

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:59 pm

You're very welcome Marc. If you need anything feel free to post back, or PM me. You can IM me too, if you'd like real-time help. :lol: My AIM name is in the profiles.