Tools for testing power requirements

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

bdizzle

Tools for testing power requirements

Post by bdizzle » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:46 am

I've been reading a lot lately about power requirements lately for my new pc i'm gonna build the end of the year, and i want to make sure i pick the right psu. I used to always think I need a monster of a power supply, but reading spcr shows me its nothing more than marketting. Basically I want to know what tools I'll need to accurately test how much power my pc is really using, how much power each component is using, and how to accurately test my psu to make sure it's giving enough juice. So far the only things i've figured I should buy is a digital multimeter, and kill-a-watt from p3 intl. So if anyone has any other software or hardware I should get to do my tests, or have any links on how to properly take measurements or some sort of a howto guide, I'd appreciate it.

Honestly I'm skeptical. Reading that a e6600 and a 8800gtx doesn't even need anything over a 380w psu seems so unbelieveable that i have to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

TIA