120mm FSP300w & 350w available in the UK - which is quie

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Storm
*Lifetime Patron*

120mm FSP300w & 350w available in the UK - which is quie

Post by Storm » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:21 pm

Great news for ppl in the UK 120mm 300w and 350w FSP PSU available here (middle of page):

http://www2.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/ ... egoryid=17

Question for the people that own either or the 300w, as 300w is all i would need it should be quieter correct?

higher wattage Power supplies are generally optimised for larger loads, so I should get better efficency with a 300w PSU at normal loads

larsrenne

Cool!

Post by larsrenne » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:02 am

Thanks for posting that link, I've been scouring the web looking for a UK retailer for this PSU! :)

I need a quieter PSU than my current supposedly low noise model, and the options seem to be either the Nexus NX-3000 at £67 or the Sparkle/Fortron FSP300-60PN(PF) at £47...

Does anybody have any thoughts on which model I should go for? I'm pretty strapped for cash and the Sparkle is a whole £20 less. Mike's preview seems to confirm that these two PSUs are pretty close noise wise, so I'm heavily leaning towards the Sparkle at this point.

Bat

Post by Bat » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:52 am

Has anyone seen a UK supplier for the 80mm-fan Fortron PSUs? I mean the ones that the Nexus, Silenx and Zalman are based on. (From what I've read it seems that those are all modified versions of the same PSU, yes?)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:25 pm

Zalman is Active PFC, the others are passive. So it is not the same.

Storm
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Storm » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:17 pm

Bat wrote:Has anyone seen a UK supplier for the 80mm-fan Fortron PSUs? I mean the ones that the Nexus, Silenx and Zalman are based on. (From what I've read it seems that those are all modified versions of the same PSU, yes?)
Here ya go Sparkle FSP300-60ATV 300W

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ ... e_148.html

larsrenne

Post by larsrenne » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:55 pm

Bat, www.dabs.com (UK) sell the Fortron/Sparkle FSP300-60ATV (described as "silent") for £31.72 inc VAT, which is about 10 quid less than www.overclockers.co.uk, so they might work out cheaper.

Dammit, I need a quiet PSU/CPU cooler quick, I'm going deaf trying to drown out the existing PSU with my heavy metal collection :wink:

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:19 am

Bat wrote:From what I've read it seems that those are all modified versions of the same PSU, yes?
Not so sure - be careful out there. FSP seems to have a zillion options, I haven't a clue what their model numbers mean (in precise detail) and they seem to make variations specifically say for Verax. Some of the variations are to do with where the vent slots are (back or bottom), the rest ...?

There is no doubt in my mind that they are consistent 'good' power supplies (I don't think there are any runts in the range) but when going for the optimum ones for near silence I am nervous. I have an 18 month old FSP 300-60BT (12V) that does have PFC (according to a label, probably passive?) as well as Noise Killer (another label, but definately there on a daughter card as well as fan volt change when hot, but someone else here said they had a a 300 that definately the Noise Killer was not there).

The bottom line though - I really object to UK vendors charging upwards of £50 for items that are on the downside of $40 in the US :evil:

energy

Post by energy » Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:02 pm

Zalman is Active PFC, the others are passive. So it is not the same.
FSP make loads of versions, including Active PFC ones, ones with stamped grilles, ones with wire grilles, and so on.

However, I have yet to see an FSP equivalent of the ZM400A - this one seems to use extra-large heatsinks that no other FSP's I've seen have. In addition to this, the PCB on the 400A actually says "made by Zalman" on it... yeah right! Its clearly an FSP design, case and all, and the hi-pot transformer has SPI written on it so more like "made for Zalman" rather than "by Zalman".