Is replacing Enhance ATX-730's fan with Papst 8412NGL safe?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dirtrock

Is replacing Enhance ATX-730's fan with Papst 8412NGL safe?

Post by dirtrock » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:15 am

I reluctantly built my PC in the Fong Kai fk-320 case which must come with the nosiest power supply ever (Enhance ATX-730). I'd like to mod it with the quietest fan possible (which to my knowledge is the Papst 8412NGL). First of all, is replacing a PSU fan as easy as unplugging it or will I need to solder? Also, do I run any serious risk of frying my computer because of lack of exhaust airflow? I built my computer for audio recording and the background noise produced by my PC is unacceptable.

thanks for any advice!

- Brian
:twisted:

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Hmmm...

Post by Kostik » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:46 am

The guy who wrote this article (sorry, no english translation available*), claims he moded his PSU with a 8412NGL. I wouldn't try this at home, as the 8412NGL has a very low airflow (19.4 cfm). IMHO, a 8412NGML would be safer.

(*) : I tried translating it with altavista, but man, it was like "all you PSUs are belong to us" :) ...

NeilBlanchard

Re: Hmmm...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:29 am

Hello:
Kostik wrote: I tried translating it with altavista, but man, it was like "all you PSUs are belong to us" :) ...
Good ol' Englishish! Here's how the Google translator (http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en) handled the first paragraph:
The third source of noise is without question the food. It is often equipped with a ventilator 80x80mm of mark little known and responsible for the unpleasant whistle which can characterize our PC My food does not make noise. It is thermo controlled and was of origin in my news tower. It is a food 350w of unknown mark of which I replaced the ventilator. Conscious that it would be completely useless to show a procedure on this not very widespread food, I chose to attack a food definitely more appraisal: food of Aopen HQ45, case of the people par excellence!
I'm not sure where the "food" thing comes from? :P But along with the pictures, you can get the gist of it...

dgouldin

Post by dgouldin » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:13 am

My food made noise when I chose to attack it. It defended itself by emmiting 350w. Now I have an unknown mark on my ventilator (nose).

... I'll never eat another PSU again ...

Maybe I should just stick to the Alf diet of stray cats.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:49 pm

Brian - I would not recommend a Papst 8412NGL as a direct psu fan replacement. The main reason being that many psu have noise-killer circuits that drop the fan voltage to 5V or lower, and a Papst will not run at that speed. Second, if you look at the Papst performace with 10Pa static pressure, it is 0cfm. (10 Pa is arbitrary, but psu enclosures are the worst part of our PCs)

Second, I think it is generally accepted that the 12dB(A) 8412NGL is a myth - I have 2 of them and at 12 V I can easily hear them from 2 or 3 metres away (and my ears are well past their best by date!) So feel free to go with something a bit more readily available and that offers a bit more performace. You dont mention your ambient temperatures, but the commonly most mentioned fan is Panaflo L1A.

Elsewhere in these forums (fora?) are comments about replacing psu fans: a soldering iron is not required, but the basic electrical skills implied by ownership of a soldering iron definately are required (OK, a screwdriver and multimeter are also adequate entrance :) .)

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Hmmm...

Post by dukla2000 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:58 pm

Kostik wrote:The guy who wrote this article (sorry, no english translation available*), claims he moded his PSU with a 8412NGL. I wouldn't try this at home, as the 8412NGL has a very low airflow (19.4 cfm). IMHO, a 8412NGML would be safer.

(*) : I tried translating it with altavista, but man, it was like "all you PSUs are belong to us" :) ...
I can understand why Google & Altavista struggle: while his pictures show him wiring in a clear Enermax, he says in the article you 'could use a Papst like I have'. All I can say is this is not the first time this year I have had problems understanding French!! :twisted:

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:13 pm

A correct translation to the first sentence would be "No doubt that the third source of noise in my PC was the PSU". Altavista's translation was just like google's, all about attacking food that made noise, that's why I didn't bother linking to it.

The french for "power supply" is "alimentation", which comes from the verb "alimenter" (to supply). "Alimenter" also means "to feed", and I guess that's why the translator got confused.

The internet would be such a sad place without these crappy translators...