My first mod!! a success

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

BCMoney

My first mod!! a success

Post by BCMoney » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:11 pm

Well, about a month ago I was a hardcore overclocker with a bunch of case fans and a volcano 7+. Then one day I ordered a Zalman hsf and ever since I've been looking to quiet my PC. Well, the Zalman was a great start, my temps stayed relatively similar and it was way quieter. At that point I took out all the other case fans. So, the next item to fix was my PSU. Since I'm a poor college kid I can't buy a nexus, or seasonic or whatever so I bought a panaflo L1A. Tonight I decided to open up the PSU and replace the old fan, with my new super quiet panaflo. All in all it took about twenty minutes (General disclaimer: opening your psu seems to be dangerous and voids warranties, I do not recommend doing it) So, I opened up the psu about 1 minute after disconnecting the power, while leaving it still plugged into my mainboard, cause i was too lazy to unplug everything. Next I unscrewed the old fan and snipped the wire. Then I placed in my new fan, ran the 3 pin cord out of the psu and into a connector on the motherboard. At this point, I realized that some psu's were probably set up so that they wouldn't start without a fan plugged into it... oh well, too late to worry about that now. So, I took the snipped wires and lead them outside the PSU as well. The snipped wires are now hovering outside my case, completely open to the air. Next I booted up the PC, and success, it's quieter than before, and the air coming out the back is colder. All in all I would say that this was very successful because I didn't get shocked, my PC didn't get shocked, and I'm quieter. I still need a Fan mate to quiet it further though. My only questions are: what to do about the two wires sitting outside the case, and are they live?
My PSU is an Enlight 250 W, and the fan was a Protechnic Magic. The heat sinks inside were extremely small, maybe 4 mm accross.
Anyway, thanks to all the ppl in the forums that helped me with this.

CHHAS

Post by CHHAS » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:15 pm

Yes, they're live, but only with 12V on them, might fry your stuff if they shortcircuit though.

When I change fan in a PSU I usually reuse the wires from the original fan for the new one, removing the loose wire effect :)

Congrats on your first mod, always nice to have success with stuff like that.

BCMoney

Post by BCMoney » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:19 pm

What do I do to stop them from short circuiting? And that idea is a great one, about reusing the wires. Thanks, I'll do that next time.

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:45 pm

Cover the ends of each separate wire with electrical tape.

BCMoney

Post by BCMoney » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:07 pm

Thats what I thought, but I wasn't completely sure
Thanks again

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:48 pm

What they do with Antecs is connect the fan's ground and power leads inside but run the RPM lead (white?) and an extra ground lead to a 3-pin connector with the +12V pin left out.

I found that the best way to handle dangling leads is to cover them with heatshrink tubing extended 1/2" beyond the end, but the next best way is to use tiny wire nuts and fill them with silicone sealant. I was told to avoid electrical tape because it can come undone.