I Have to have quiet PSU in the UK

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

miTchy

I Have to have quiet PSU in the UK

Post by miTchy » Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:18 am

i was thinking about the Nexus NX4000quiet expensive or maybe the Sparkle FSP350-60PN about half the price but which would be quieter.

also the SilenX 400w 14 dBA looks very tempting but i cannot find it for sale in the UK anyware anyone help me on this one?? :?:

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:42 am

Allegedly the Silenx is quietest, followed by Nexus, then FSP. See this thread http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4062

And that is about the pricing as well: Silenx not directly available in UK so you would have to ship/import yourself, Nexus was at ridiculous price some place I saw it in £. Fortron/Sparkle/AOpen is still relatively expensive: someone had them around £40. Where can you find the Sparkle in the UK? To me that would be the best bet.

Oli

Post by Oli » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:24 am

[deleted]
Last edited by Oli on Tue May 23, 2023 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

silenx
-- Vendor --

Post by silenx » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:54 am

Hi Mitch,

Please email me at [email protected] for pricing on S&H to your location, I will be more than happy to assist you on obtaining a SilenX power supply.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:32 pm

What about customs? Do we have to pay?

I heard if the package is not wrapped with any company logo and kept as descreate as possible it avoids the customs tax.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:56 am

ez2remember wrote:What about customs? Do we have to pay?

I heard if the package is not wrapped with any company logo and kept as descreate as possible it avoids the customs tax.
I read an article about this recently but cant lay my fingers on it.

In short, depending on the value of the goods, the purpose (e.g. gifts) and the excise category, you may be exempt from excise duty. If not, excise duties go from small (+-3%) to large. Also you may have to pay a handling fee, and VAT on top of everything added together. Also, if you are using a courier (DHL, UPS) they can charge clearance fees.

It is 'common' that parcels go straight through - apparently using the regular parcel post (Post Office) is the best deal: their handling/clearance fees are the lowest and (from the way the article was worded) it seems a lower percentage of their parcels are 'caught'.

But remember, if you do get away with it, it is evasion (criminal offence), not avoidance (legitimate re-arrangement of affairs to reduce tax). And also remember, in the UK Customs & Excise are IIRC, the only agency authorised to enter your home without any warrant, and detain you without you having any rights :evil: .

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:24 pm

dukla2000 wrote: But remember, if you do get away with it, it is evasion (criminal offence), not avoidance (legitimate re-arrangement of affairs to reduce tax). And also remember, in the UK Customs & Excise are IIRC, the only agency authorised to enter your home without any warrant, and detain you without you having any rights :evil: .
I'll take that chance. :lol:

silenx
-- Vendor --

Post by silenx » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:53 pm

As far as customs are concerned, we try to make it discreet so you won't have to deal with it. So far, none of our overseas customers had to be exposed to customs/tariffs of any sorts...but we cannot guarantee that will always be the case. Please feel free to email us regarding shipping, the UPS fees on our websites are just there so we can accept international orders with our shopping cart so email for a custom quote!

Marcus.Cali

Post by Marcus.Cali » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:29 am

I had a SilenX delivered to the UK yesterday and did not have to pay any duty. Delivery costs were very reasonable and the service from SilenX was first class.

elitezoid

Post by elitezoid » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:33 am

Hey miTchy did you end up placing an order with SilentX?
I'd be interested to know how you got on, as I'm also looking to buy a noiseless PSU in the UK, but would consider having one shipped.
From what I've gathered the choice of PSU comes down to, Nexus, Zalman and SilentX, is SilentX the best choice for a 400w model :?:

elitezoid

Post by elitezoid » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:17 pm

Oh no, this site is starting to cost me money... :?
I've already bought enough panaflows to swap out all my default case fans, a Seagate Cuda hard drive and now I've just ordered myself a SilenX 400w 14 dBA PSU!
I only mailed Pete at SilenX with some general enquiries and ended up ordering a new PSU to be shipped to me in the UK, hope this PSU will deliver the goods?

miTchy

Post by miTchy » Mon May 12, 2003 2:44 pm

i ordered mine on friday. now its just wait and see :wink:

miTchy

Post by miTchy » Sat May 17, 2003 1:53 pm

It's arrived, well it arrived yesterday.
i am more than please with quietness of it, but i had a couple of problems
1 one of the motherboard power pin thingys was bent on it so i had to straightern it to get it to fit
2 it doesnt have a plastic bag or anything to cover it so some of the little foamy things that are there to protect it got in the fan grill, and stopped the fan from goin round at first.

other than that i am pleased :D just need a silent graphics card and hardrive now

jackal2513

Post by jackal2513 » Sun May 18, 2003 9:47 am

prosilence will be available from www.kustompcs.co.uk at the end of the month

cant wait !