2-pin to 3-pin PSU - zalman fanmate idea good or bad?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

betty

2-pin to 3-pin PSU - zalman fanmate idea good or bad?

Post by betty » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:29 pm

Hi,

I've been thinking about how to slow down my psu fan. I'd like to use the zalman fan mate. It turns out I have a 2-pin psu fan connector on my silencer 275. The zalman fanmate is 3-pin. Would it be easy to simply take out the wires from the 2-pin and put them into a 3-pin connector that I can order online? The wires in these connectors are wrapped at the ends with metal are'nt they? - so its a take out and put in procedure.

This is what I envision - I take out the wires from the 2-pin psu fan connector, put them into a 3-pin connector, attach it to a zalman fanmate, and then remove the 3-pin connector from the fanmate that would normally attach to the motherboard, and replace it with the 2-pin connector that I took off my psu fan and attach that to the psu 2-pin power connector..

Easy enough or not? No soldering or splicing involved is good for me..

Just want to know if it will work.
Thanks!
Betty.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:47 pm

You might not have to do any adapting at all. Lots of 2 pin connectors fit into 3 pin ones; they will withstand a bit of bending. Especially if you pull of the plastic piece that is like a sleeve around the 2 pins on the PSU PCB. Then you only have the 2 pins sticking up from the PCB, and you should be able to stick the fanmate directly to it. (If you don't get this, let me know; will post some pics somewhere.)

But you might want to actually run the PSU fan off a mobo header if the wire will reach so the fanmate1 is not in such a hot environment (as the PSU) and also adjustable without having to open up the PSU. In hot weather, you may want to put the fan speed back up, you see.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Sun May 04, 2003 1:06 pm

I have the same issue as you; a 2-pin PSU connector and a 3-pin Fanmate.

I yanked the fan wires out of its 2-pin connector (which was still embedded in the PSU's fan connector, impossible to extract), and since the ends of the wires have little metal loops, I just inserted the loops over the proper Fanmate pins. You can use electrical tape to secure the wires; I just left the wires exposed and tried not to bump the Fanmate :). I dangled the Fanmate out the back of the PSU; the fan's wires go out the fan grill at the back of the PSU, and the Fanmate's wires go back in the same way. I then took the wires out of the Fanmate's 3-pin connector and shoved them into the fan's 2-pin connector (which was still connected to the PSU). You might want to tape up some of the Fanmate wires' exposed metal tips, if they stick out from the 2-pin connector.

I didn't have to do any soldering or stipping, just some wire/pin bending. Still, I like MikeC's idea better: try to yank the PSU's fan connector clean off, so just the pins are exposed. Then you can attach the Fanmate's 3-pin connector directly.

betty

Post by betty » Sun May 04, 2003 1:48 pm

Thanks! I'm going to try this as soon as my exams are over.. a few days finally.

I'll let you know how it went.