It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Antec "Smart Power" 450 fan?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:19 am 

Hello,

We have two Antec Sonata (2?) with "Smart Power" 450watt PSU's, and they both will run with the PSU exhaust fan sitting still?! Is this normal for this PSU? You can feel some warmth around the fan grill, but not too warm. The case fans are running (on low, I think).

If this is normal, then fine; but when I saw this on the workstation, it made me concerned that the fan (or it's control circuit) was faulty. The other machine is our server, and I noticed later that it's PSU fan runs some of the time, but not all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:20 am 

I think it's normal... more precisely as normal as that PSU saying "bang" because of substandard quality Fuhjjyu capacitors getting cooked up in temperatures normal to PSUs.

If those are somehow important servers I would suggest getting PSUs with smaller failure rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:41 pm 

Hello,

Thank you -- the info was in SPCR's "archives" all the time! :o

Quote:
Without the fan monitor cable plugged in, the rear fan does not spin at all when the temperature is low. This is excellent for silencers. It means that the only source of noise is the intake fan in the middle of the case, away from any direct paths to the user's ears. It also spins slowly enough that it is probably close to or below the ambient noise level in most rooms, effectively making it silent in a low power system. The low-profile intake fan is quite well-behaved, even at the relatively high starting voltage of 5.3V.