Help picking a new PSU..

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Copyright

Help picking a new PSU..

Post by Copyright » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:01 pm

My current Seasonic 750 started to pickup a little coil whine here recently. Its probably 3 years old and I never noticed it until we moved into a new house and have a tile study room. So now I hear it. I was looking at the Silverstone 520w 0db psu.. not sure if it makes any whine? Also not sure if 520 is big enough? Thanks for any advice!!!

Specs:
4770@ 4.5ghz
GTX 970 MSI stock clock
SSD HD + 1 4tb Mechanical
8GB 1866mhz
Blueray burner

quest_for_silence

Re: Help picking a new PSU..

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:00 am

Copyright wrote:Thanks for any advice!
Stick with your current PSU.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:48 am

Check if its psu, The new gtx970 are prone to whine, not all bit nos that they are semi passive los are noticing. Either way if its The psu, and you want to change it, any 500w will handle ypur setup fine, evento overclocked.

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:03 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
Umm.. you did read that it has coil whine bad right?

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Abula wrote:Check if its psu, The new gtx970 are prone to whine, not all bit nos that they are semi passive los are noticing. Either way if its The psu, and you want to change it, any 500w will handle ypur setup fine, evento overclocked.
LOL.. yes I am VERY aware.. I tried an Asus Strix 970 bad coil whine and buzz.. tried an MSI gaming 970.. Bad coil whine and buzz. For the record the MSI ran cooler and quieter. Went back and picked up the only 980 in stock.. an Asus Strix 980. This had very little noise compared to the 970s.

What did not change was the power supply noise. It was the same with all 3 cards and including my old 770. I don't know what happened but I am guessing when I blew it out for a rebuild I just did I must have done something to the PSU maybe the movement and blowing it out? Before the rebuild it was quiet. Please help!

I heard there are bios settings you can use to help make the Seasonic Quiet. I enabled S4/S5 and saw no difference. I already have my onboard audio disabled since I run an aftermarket card. Anything else I can try?

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:32 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:

Ok you win.. it turned out to be something else LOL.. I have these network pieces that send network signal over my plugs in my wall.. I finally narrowed it down to that!

edh

Post by edh » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:26 pm

Copyright wrote:I have these network pieces that send network signal over my plugs in my wall
Interesting. Not something that has come up before. So the network over power units themselves make the high pitch whine? I'm guessing they have an AC-DC power supply themselves and this might make the whine.

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:50 pm

edh wrote:
Copyright wrote:I have these network pieces that send network signal over my plugs in my wall
Interesting. Not something that has come up before. So the network over power units themselves make the high pitch whine? I'm guessing they have an AC-DC power supply themselves and this might make the whine.
It's strange I never noticed it before.. its pretty dang loud but could have just started. So I took and swapped the units.. the one at the modem is in my Mother In-laws bedroom.. (I hope she don't hear it lol)... now the one I got from that other end is quiet. Very happy with my setup now. It's VERY quiet.. Video card and CPU fans shutoff under low load.. Case fans are runnign about 400rpm now.. I have been messing with settings and trying to run them as fast as I can before I start to hear them.. Can't get the CPU fans below 600rpm.. so i chose to turn those off if temps are good.

sn1009

Post by sn1009 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:24 am

Can you please tell me if the APC BR1500LCD is quiet ?
Are you happy with it ?

Thanks.