Running a PSU outside of the case?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Running a PSU outside of the case?

Post by 10 » Sun May 11, 2003 6:33 am

I'd like to build a silent computer in a small case (something like a Shuttle, an Iwill XP4 or similar), but have understood that the cramped space make this a bit unpractical. However, would it pose any problem to move the PSU out of the case and replace it with a large fan instead, thereby removing a heat generator, improving the airflow in the case and make it easier to choose a silent power supply (without having to think about size)? I feel it's strange that only laptops and mini-ITX cases come with external PSUs, and would like to know if there's a logical explanation...

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Sun May 11, 2003 8:57 am

does it not sort of defeat the purpose of having a small (i.e. shuttle) case to run the powersupply outside ???

Post by 10 » Sun May 11, 2003 9:11 am

Not to my mind. The reason I want a small case is for looks and for getting that ugly tower that takes up half the room off the floor. Idealy, the power supply would reside inside the case, but if this would allow for a dead-silent computer, I'm anxious to try it. I'm just afraid it's a stupid idea. :)

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Sun May 11, 2003 5:31 pm

You can do it, but you probably need an extender for the motherboard connector, unless the one on the supply is long. No different than running a pc outside of a case like some people do.

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Sun May 11, 2003 6:51 pm

Just drop big cash and get a Soldam:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3043

It seems that their US site doesn't sell them, though. Why does Japan get to have all the fun?

I built a silent SFF PC for my sister to use in her dorm room, and wound up using a Panflo-modded full ATX size PSU to power it. I was really unhappy with that solution, as it looks like crap (I could have put the PSU inside of a project box or something, but I didn't bother). If you go that route, just be careful about how long a length you run the PSU wires for. And remember that junctions from extension cables can mess with the amount and quality of the power that is delivered. Probably the best thing to do would be to buy a metal project box, remount the PSU PCB inside the box, solder fatter guage wire to the PSU, nicely wrap the PSU cables, use a custom connector to plug the PSU into a plate mounted in the SFF PC's spot for the PSU, and then run cables from the custom plate to the motherboard. Whew. :)

I don't know if you are partial to the cube-style cases, but you can get SFF cases that accept microATX boards and have PSUs with 80mm fans. For example, I've had my eye on the Maxtop CSX-001 lately. You can get it from newegg for $39.

Someone posted before looking for a quiet 40mm fan for their Shuttle XPC, and I told them that emailing Shuttle and saying that you want an external PSU unit for it would be a good idea. If somebody got the XPC community riled up about this, Shuttle would respond. It's not unusual to see even mainstream reviewers complaining about the whiny 40mm fan.

dan_hxff

Re: Running a PSU outside of the case?

Post by dan_hxff » Mon May 12, 2003 10:35 am

10 wrote:I'd like to build a silent computer in a small case (something like a Shuttle, an Iwill XP4 or similar), but have understood that the cramped space make this a bit unpractical. However, would it pose any problem to move the PSU out of the case and replace it with a large fan instead, thereby removing a heat generator, improving the airflow in the case and make it easier to choose a silent power supply (without having to think about size)? I feel it's strange that only laptops and mini-ITX cases come with external PSUs, and would like to know if there's a logical explanation...
There are ATX connector extenders for sale on eBay and elsewhere. The other wires are easier to extend. But you can avoid such nonsense by mounting the p/s on the wall or roof of your case if the wires are short. There are plenty of moders who have mounted the p/s on the rear wall of the case in the same place it was mounted inside.

I took an old p/s and cut, spliced and extended every wire on the ATX connector due to length problems.

Dan

Post by 10 » Wed May 14, 2003 4:55 am

Thanks for all the replies, guys! :D
Justin_R wrote:Just drop big cash and get a Soldam:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3043
Hmm, that one looks perfect! If it's not available in the US, it's obviously not available over here either. Could be worth to investigate, though. Any idea of the price?

I really feel that this is a way to go. The Shuttle SN41G2 has caught my eyes (would probably set it up with an Athlon XP 1800+ Thorougbred B), both because several people have modded it to be quite quiet, and because it's relativelly cheap here in Sweden. However, the PS is said to be the real noise maker in this set up, so moving to an external PS could make it perfect. I'd like to hear it "in the flesh" before buying, however.

Again, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it!