Silenx 400w 14db (again)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

David Cole

Silenx 400w 14db (again)

Post by David Cole » Wed May 14, 2003 5:50 pm

I have one arriving soon and have been taking note of the warnings in a number of threads about the need to ensure a decent case airflow with the Silenx because of its gentle fan.
I have two large Barracudas sitting on top of my DVD drive (top, front)and they push out a lot of heat. Would it be better to put these down at the bottom, front - next to the intake fan(s) - and so reduce the hot air hitting the Silenx? This will presumably have the disadvantage of obstructing and heating the cool air going into the case and over the mobo and components.
Grateful for advice on this one.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed May 14, 2003 6:08 pm

With all the other factors that go into your system, the only real way to tell is to wait until your PSU arrives and use something like the Dtemp program and Motherboard Monitor to determine your drive, system, and CPU temps, with both setups (above DVD and at bottom of the case) to see if it makes a difference, if HDD your temps are too high at the top, or if it affects the thermal control of the PSU fan.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed May 14, 2003 9:32 pm

Also, where your case exhausts is important as well. If your PSU fan is your only exit, where you put the drives ain't gonna matter one bit. But if you have another exhaust fan at the back, dropping them to the bottom MIGHT help, but that dang heat just keeps rising.

David Cole

Silenx 400w 14db (again)

Post by David Cole » Thu May 15, 2003 1:31 am

I don't have a separate exhaust fan at all. Just one 80mm stamped hole in the case.
Available fans are 2x Papst 80mm (NGLs), 2x 92mm Zalman, 1x 120mm Papst 4312MV. The 92mms are over Zalman hs's for the vga card and cpu. I have not tried the 120mm and was thinking of giving it a whirl as an intake fan (instead of the 80mms), and replacing the 92mms with the 80mms.
I think I have to keep the temps down or the Silenx will start making a racket. Normal flying speed temps are about 45C (CPU) and 34C (mobo/case). The Silenx has not arrived yet and I am just doing some pre-thinking. I would like to get the best fan set up I can before it gets here.
I have the Zalman 92mms on Fanmates and presumably becuase of their voltage or wattage capacity (don't know what I'm talking about here) I can't use them with the Papst 80mm or 120mm? (The pins are different too but I think there are converters).

Grateful for any more ideas and experience.